OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Inconsistent export of tables to MS-WORD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMMJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Inconsistent export of tables to MS-WORD Reply with quote

I chopped a long table into blocks, exported each block as a separate WORD doc for Win XP and e-mailed each block to a separate person to work on. I used WORD rather than PDF so that the recipients could update the tables.

Most of the blocks open fine in WORD 97, but two of them don't. I checked the copies on my own PC and they behave the same as the e-mailed versions, so it isn't corruption in transit.

As a workaround I printed the blocks from my original and hand-carried them, but for future guidance I would like to understand why the export is inconsistent.

Any ideas? [/b]
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Inconsistent export of tables to MS-WORD Reply with quote

BMMJoe wrote:
I chopped a long table into blocks, exported each block as a separate WORD doc for Win XP and e-mailed each block to a separate person to work on. I used WORD rather than PDF so that the recipients could update the tables.

Most of the blocks open fine in WORD 97, but two of them don't. I checked the copies on my own PC and they behave the same as the e-mailed versions, so it isn't corruption in transit.

As a workaround I printed the blocks from my original and hand-carried them, but for future guidance I would like to understand why the export is inconsistent.

Any ideas? [/b]

Yes. MS uses a proprietary file format. What OOo does is make its best guess as to what Word will accept and exports that. Unfortunately until MS goes to an open format these incompatabilites are likely to exist.

That said, are the 2 blocks more complicated than the others for some reason?

Cells embedded in cells for example? I suspect embedded cells is a hard thing to translate.

I don't use tables in Word enough to know but it just may be that you did somethilng in Calc that Word does not support
BMMJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Tables to MS-WORD Reply with quote

Thankyou for your reply.
The blocks were all cut from the same table, with no difference in structure.
The table is 8 columns with a repeated header.

Each block is a separate .doc file with one blank line before the table.

I can still open all the blocks with Open Office, though I notice that the format of the header row has changed slightly in the two "trouble" blocks.

I have just copied the content of the left hand column of the header row from a "good" block to each of the "problem" blocks, saved the problem blocks and found that I could now open them using Word 97.

It seems the problem was linked to a change in the first item in the table header row. This may have been introduced by me inadvertently, while copying the header row from the original table to the table in each of the blocks. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: