OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

MySQL & OOo 1.9.74 - Great job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortblock
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: MySQL & OOo 1.9.74 - Great job! Reply with quote

Good afternoon everyone:

I just wanted to talk about a recent success with OOo 1.9.74 and MySQL. The how-tos aren't plenteous, so after some looking around for a while, I figured out how to connect a MySQL database and OOo 1.9.74. It's easy; just use File>New>Database and follow the prompts. It's different than in 1.1.4 where you use Tools>DataSource in order to connect to an external database. The new version is painfully slow, though, compared to 1.1.4. Anyway, I have a couple of questions about the latest OOo build.

1. Is OOo still just a front end when connecting to MySQL, or is it creating a whole new database? I'm asking because when I make the connection to an external database, there is also a file created with a .odb extension. Do I now have two separate databases or is the .odb just a file that lets me communicate with the SQL database? BTW, it might just be me, but it seems easier to connect in the latest version.

2. When using the new version, am I using the ODBC and Java connectors I downloaded from the MySQL site, or does OOo supply the connectors? It works, either way.

3. In OOo 1.1.4, there is a nice feature that allows me to link a form to a particular database in the data source explorer, but I can't find it in the new version. Have I missed it, or is there some other way to do things?

4. How do you get sound to play in the new Impress? I have a PowerPoint presentation that has sound, but it doesn't work in OOo. The slide show works without a hitch other than that.

Hope my questions aren't too basic, but it would be nice to know these things. I am extremely happy with OpenOffice.org. With tutoring from this forum, my work has been made easier and more efficient, too. Keep up the good work everyone who is involved with the project.

Pastor Ron Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: