OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Chapter title in Header

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dan_sprocket
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Chapter title in Header Reply with quote

I am producing curriculum, which requires the topic (or chapter) title to be included in the header to help facilitators and students find their place. I start each topic on a new page. Unfortunately, when I use the Insert Chapter function (Under help type "Chapter Names in Header" for more details) it will place the name of the PREVIOUS chapter in the header on the first page of a chapter. Basically, AFTER the chapter title appears in a document, every header contains that chapter title... but on the first page of a chapter, it contains the previous chapter title. I can see that perhaps it's using the last chapter title because it hasn't officially come across the new chapter title... but you can imagine this makes this feature awkward if at the start of every chapter it has the wrong name in the header.

Is there a way to encourage Writer to look forward for the chapter name to place in the header, rather than look at the previous chapter? If this is a problem, perhaps this could be addressed in the next version?

Thanks

Dan
Vancouver, Canada
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foxcole
Super User
Super User


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 2771
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Chapter title in Header Reply with quote

dan_sprocket wrote:
Is there a way to encourage Writer to look forward for the chapter name to place in the header, rather than look at the previous chapter? If this is a problem, perhaps this could be addressed in the next version?

I haven't tried this yet to see whether I could help, but my immediate question after your post was, what version are you using?
_________________
Cheers!
---Fox

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Chapter title in Header Reply with quote

dan_sprocket wrote:
I am producing curriculum, which requires the topic (or chapter) title to be included in the header to help facilitators and students find their place. I start each topic on a new page. Unfortunately, when I use the Insert Chapter function (Under help type "Chapter Names in Header" for more details) it will place the name of the PREVIOUS chapter in the header on the first page of a chapter. Basically, AFTER the chapter title appears in a document, every header contains that chapter title... but on the first page of a chapter, it contains the previous chapter title. I can see that perhaps it's using the last chapter title because it hasn't officially come across the new chapter title... but you can imagine this makes this feature awkward if at the start of every chapter it has the wrong name in the header.

Is there a way to encourage Writer to look forward for the chapter name to place in the header, rather than look at the previous chapter? If this is a problem, perhaps this could be addressed in the next version?

Thanks

Dan
Vancouver, Canada


I have never used chapter headers but it looks like you are using the same page style. A header is applied to all pages until a new page style is called. Thus it appears that you would need to insert a page break and start a new page style for each chapter. (Hit F11 to call up the Stylist) The first header on the new page will be treated as the chapter header.

It appears to me that you can have all the page styles the same as long as you give them different names.

Have a look at some of the Writer Guide chapters http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html . In particular the Formatting Pages, Introduction to Styles & Working with Styles.
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 07 Mar 2003
Posts: 9183
Location: Lexinton, Kentucky, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

The chapter title must be in the first paragraph of the new page for OOo to reflect it in the header of that page.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Corfy
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 1117
Location: Near Indianapolis, IN, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about possibly setting up a new page style without a header for the first page of a chapter, so you don't have to worry about chapter titles in the headers on that page, since the chapter title will be on the page anyway?

Or another possibility might be to use a footer rather than a header. That way chapter name is always called after the chapter title changes.

I am grasping at straws here. I haven't written anything with chapters, so I don't know from experience. Just trying to help come up with ideas. Feel free to discard as you see fit.
_________________
Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Dan,

The chapter title must be in the first paragraph of the new page for OOo to reflect it in the header of that page.


Oh right. I forgot that.
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group