OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Using Access files with OOBase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wawhittle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Using Access files with OOBase Reply with quote

I have been using MS Office Pro for years and have a number of data bases in Access that I can't seem to open in OOBase.

Unless I can solve that issue, OO is worthless to me.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

al
laurentiu
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. open oobase
2. connect to an existing database
3. from the popup choose "Microsoft Access"
4. Next
5. Choose the .mdb file
6. Next (Here you can register the dabasase or not; open database for editing;)
7. Choose the name of the new database
8. On the tab Tables you will have the tables
Corfy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to speak bad about OOo, but it has been my experience that Base has a long way to go before it catches up to Access, so people who are familiar with Access will probably find themselves stifled by Base. It is a bit too simplistic yet and doesn't have many of the features that most Access users take for granted. On the other hand, it is a lot better than what most people have, which is nothing.

That being said, I am keeping an eye on Base (although I haven't had a chance to see if 2.0.3 has any improvements, but I gave up building a simple database in 2.0.2 that would have been a cinch to do in Access). I'm sure it will improve as time goes on, but it just isn't there yet. Then again, it was only released for the first time back in October, while Writer and Calc have been around for over 5 years.

And BTW, Base can only read Access tables. It can't read the forms or reports (I'm not sure about queries.)
JiXeR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having major problems getting Access .mdb files to import also. they will open up, but when you go to open one of the tables i get:

The connection to the data source "(database name here)" could not be established.

The connection to the external data source could not be established. An unknown error occured. The driver is probably defective.

when i click the "more" button, i get this:

SQL Status: S1000

The connection to the external data source could not be established. An unknown error occurred. The driver is probably defective.

and idea what to do here?
Ewald
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: try to "connect" instead of "open" Reply with quote

In the database wizard select "connect to an existing database" and select "Microsoft Access" from the combo box. That probably conntects you to your Access Database. If you can't live with the fact that you need to keep the mdb file you can copy the access tables into your *.odb via a simple copy/paste action.

However, be aware, that OO base is VERY Basic compared to MS Access

Hope this helps.
tfrench

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post, we are migrating our office of 120 employees to OO.
One of our projects uses .mde instead of .mdb for odbc access.
I am unable to set this up so we can see the form from the .mde
When I select the odbc wizard, and test the connection, all is well.
Then it takes me to writer. The display is a mess of garbled data.
This should be a form used to select items with in the database.

Any ideas where to start.?

Thanks
Ewald
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Migrating Access Forms to OO is difficult Reply with quote

You have to look at your acces database as two separate components one being the data in your tables and two being your forms. Component one is very easy to migrate whereas component two, basically your front end according to my experience cannot be migrated from access to OO, you have to create it from scratch in OO.
Having said that I would add that depending on the complexity of your access front end OO in it's version 2.0.3 might not the best choice since the form functionalities of OObase are very basic compared to access.
The good news is, however, people are working very hard to improve that.
dbmiller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurentiu wrote:
1. open oobase
2. connect to an existing database
3. from the popup choose "Microsoft Access"
4. Next
5. Choose the .mdb file
6. Next (Here you can register the dabasase or not; open database for editing;)
7. Choose the name of the new database
8. On the tab Tables you will have the tables

What specific menus are you going to to get to "Connect to an existing database"? I have gotten to a connect to existing database option in the create new database wizard (File --> New --> Database), but no where else however there is no listing for Microsoft Access in that drop down box. Is there another means to get to this dialog or is there something else that allows OOo to access these documents?
Ewald
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: connect to existing database Reply with quote

I use OOo 2.0.2 on a WinXP machine. I either select database from the quickstarter or start OOo base via Start>programs>openoffice.org base from the OpenOffice2.0 drop down menue. This opens the database wizard and the drop down menue under connect to an existing database contains Microsoft Access as its first item. If you don't have that then your install is probably different and you didn't install some of the options I did.
Maybe you find some hints in the following link http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=40115
gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: connect to existing database Reply with quote

Ewald wrote:
the drop down menue under connect to an existing database contains Microsoft Access as its first item

For some odd reason, when I opened that drop down menu, it started at the 2nd entry. I scrolled down through the menu and didn't see Access - that's because I should have scrolled UP instead...rustoleum car paint job
product manufacturing company
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: