OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

create autocompletion dictionary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynhines

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: create autocompletion dictionary Reply with quote

Hello,
I am trying to see if it is possible to use an database (mysql) to be able to use it
as a dictionary. For example, using specific terms in one language and having them
translated to another language by the auto-completion function using a mysql database
as the source. I realize this is vague but the machine translators I have found are limited in being able to import and export dictionaries.

Is it possible to connect the autocompletion function and connect it to mysql?

Thanks in advance,
Lyn Confused
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyn

The OOo autocomplete function is fairly basic. With a few exceptions (Months for instance) the OOo dictionary is assembled as you work. When you select tools\autoformat and open the autocomplete window the words you see will have disappeared when you close OOo and reopen it.

It is possible to make it more usable, though. If you highlight everything in the box you can copy and paste the contents into an empty document, which you can then save (autocomplete.sxw?) and can reopen at the start of each session. My autocomplete file is 2500 words long - you can change the number of words within the dialog box.

Unless I am mistaken, that is the extent of the autocomplete function. However, I'm not entirely sure what you are attempting to achieve. Are you for example, wishing to type "friend" and with a couple of clicks change it to "ami"? Or is your objective less ambitious?

Ian
lynhines

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: autocompletion dictionary Reply with quote

Thanks Ian,
I have a "dictionary of phrases" in French and English which are specific to a software. For example: "Save active logbook as" -> "Archiver le Journal Actif"

I have figured out how to connect openoffice to mysql and am trying to see I can use this dictionary to give possible options while creating a user manual.

Poor mans machine translation I guess.

Thanks,
Lyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: