OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problems with updating templates/styles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WebDrake
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Problems with updating templates/styles Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with templates/styles. Basically it comes down to this: if I've created a template, and documents based on that template, how do I make collective updates to the styles in all those documents?

Based on some reading around I assumed it would consist of,

(1) Edit the template file via File -> Templates - > Edit

(2) In the individual documents, in the Styles and Formatting menu loaded/closed by pressing F11, there is a drop-down menu with "Update Style" in it.

... however, this doesn't work; nor does using the "Load Styles" option from the same menu. The documents remain unchanged.

How do I achieve what I want? And is there a way to make large-scale changes to the document appearance, e.g. switching between two different style templates?

I note that my initial templates contain some material other than styles, and wonder whether this affects anything.

I'd be grateful if someone could give me a friendly walkthrough of these topics.

Many thanks,

-- Joe
rhino_harley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

It took me ages to work this out too. After making updates to styles you can apply them in one of two ways:

* Select the text you want to update right click and select 'Default Formattiong'.
* Use replace all, select replace styles and replace all instances of style 'x' with style 'x'

Hope this helps.

Ryan
jeanweber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with updating templates/styles Reply with quote

WebDrake wrote:
I'm having a problem with templates/styles. Basically it comes down to this: if I've created a template, and documents based on that template, how do I make collective updates to the styles in all those documents?
[...]
I'd be grateful if someone could give me a friendly walkthrough of these topics.

See Chapter 10, "Working with Templates" in the Writer Guide for an explanation of all these topics. Also note: there was a bug in 2.0.2 that caused problems with updating styles from templates, but that is fixed in 2.0.3. However, Load Styles should work (it does for me). If it doesn't, I don't know what is causing that problem. Be sure you have checked the box for overwriting existing styles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: