OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

CD booklet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
william.geldhof
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: CD booklet Reply with quote

hi everybody,

1. i want to make a cd booklet (12cmx12cm) and print it as it should be printed on an A4 paper.
i created a page style 12x12 and made layout of all pages seperatedly.

now, i have problems printing it. if i mention brochure in the print menu, first printed the left pages and then the right pages (my printer does not support duplex printing), but somehow the text is expanded to A5 and does not match the cd size.

2. Second is there no possibility to have corner marks on an A4 while printing a cd page or A5 in portrait ?

any help would be welcome.
Neooffice 2.2
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are likely to go insane before you get OOo to help you with this.
You can search this forum for many discussions and alternatives to doing this kind of project, but I doubt you will find anything that will be really pleasant to use.
I think the brochure printing idea will never work; it just isn't designed for non-standard page sizes.
You can of course do what you need manually, which is what I do for CD covers, but I stick to one folded page: outside and inside. I put everything in a frame, so I can position it easily on the page.
william.geldhof
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak,

Thank you for your reply. i posted this question also on the neooffice support forum and i got a link to this site : http://ooextras.sourceforge.net/downloads/english/index.php?tab=All

so eventually i get to the following solution :

I use one document based on the template suggested above.
i use linked text frames to make sure that my text is on the right page in my booklet.

i have 6 A4 pages.
on page 1 : booklet page 12 and 1 style CDTITLE
on page 2 : booklet page 2 and 11 style CDBODY
on page 3 : booklet page 10 and 3
on page 4 : booklet page 4 and 9
on page 5 : booklet page 8 and 5
on page 6 : booklet page 6 and 7

i created 10 text frames . i named them according to the pages 2-11 in my booklet.
i linked them, page2 with page3, etc.

for me this works. maybe there's a more simple solution, if so , tell me.

in the near future i plan to create some of those templates for 4, 8, 12, 16,20,24 pages and put them available on the web. Maybe it should be interesting to have more such templates available.

and i must admit that the brochure/prospectus option in the print menu is very handy for A5 / A4 combinations, but not for other page formats. it simply does not work on other formats.
Neooffice 2.2
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: CD booklet Reply with quote

I'm a long way from this sort of thing, but from what I've see nover the years wouldn't a desktop publishing program be more suitable to your needs? I do have on hand a free [for home use] program called Ragtime 5. They have cancelled that in favour of a beta 6 version. Worth a look at least, but possible a large new learning curve.

David.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... I use one document based on the template suggested above.
i use linked text frames to make sure that my text is on the right page in my booklet. ...

Sure, that seems like a good way to go at it.
I have seen people report that they ran into "bugs" with some linked frames, of which I don't recall there was any resolution (or substantiation). You may want to dummy something up and test it before depending on it for a larger project.

Myself, I prefer to keep the working document as 'normal' as possible, so I simply set the page size (this is for booklet-type projects, not 2-page CD inserts), work with the document normally (pages in normal order), print to a Postscript file and post-process that to rearrange the pages for duplexing and printing. The downside is that the (free, Linux/Unix) tools for doing this ("impositions" in printing lingo) are very hard to use.

BTW, what kind of material are you putting on the CD that it needs such a long booklet? A couple hundred mp3s perhaps?
william.geldhof
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak,

[little off topic]
No mp3s, i use the cd format 12x12cm to create a booklet for my 3th child baptism (?) on September 2 this year.

for my first child birth/baptism i used the simple A4 format together with OOo (i think it was 1.0)
for my second child i used an A5 format (together with 1.4) and i used then the brochure without any problem.
and now i want to use OOo 2.02 and a cd format 12x12cm.

Level up the challenge Wink
I've heard in the neooffice forum that the trick should be to create a page format on the printer side. maybe i will look that up.
Are there problems with linked text frames ? Record that, i will try it anyway.

David,

i can create a book of more than 100 pages with graphics and footnotes with OOo, why can't i create a simple CD booklet of 6 A4 pages ? i know scribus, but why should i download such an overhead if i can do this with OOo ?
Neooffice 2.2
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the page size and format you want, perhaps ClickBook might help arrange the output for your printer:
http://www.clickbook.com/

This works with any text or editing software---anything that you could print. It's a virtual printer that acts as a layer between the document file and the printer file, to rearrange files according to the desired output, and even combine different file types into a single book.

It has several format options to choose from, and will work with standard or custom page sizes. I believe you can also create your own output format, but I'm not sure because I've never needed to. It's not free but is relatively inexpensive (about $50 USD).

(I'm a ClickBook customer, not affiliated in any other way with the software or its company. Just offering this as a possible option.)

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
william.geldhof
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

(it is always interesting for others to post the solution)

In Format-Page define a page that is 12 by 12cm
Create your booklet with the pages in the order 1,2,3,4,...,12
In File-Printer Settings... define a custom page size that is 12 cm h by 12cm length,
then select this new page size before clicking OK.
In File-Print select brochure printing.

This came from a solution given by a member of the neooffice forum.

i didn't manage to create a 24x12cm on the fedora machine till now , but it's not important, i can print it on neo. And the solution of the linked textframes ? interesting, but not usable.

thanks to everybody.
Neooffice 2.2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: