OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Avery Templates and Mailmerge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cforker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Avery Templates and Mailmerge Reply with quote

Hi,

I am experiencing problems with the Avery Label templates that contain more than one label.

When I fill the templates from mailmerge, the entry that should be on the first label on the 2nd and subsequent sheets is dropped and the next entry substituted. As a result 71 entries from the DB are lost when creating the labels.

If the Avery label is a single label, then all labels are produced.

I am at a loss as to what I should do. Can anyone identify what might be the problem ?

Regards

Chris
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't reproduce your problem on Windows 98 with OO1.1 but here's an issue I saw yesterday which I can reproduce.

I currently have 14 records in the Bibliography biblio table. I create a label template with eight labels per page (Avery C2166) and save it. If I open it and do Tools > Mail Merge > This Document and click the gray box at the upper left of the record display then I only get 12 labels but the ones skipped are the last two, i.e, label 1 on page two contains the 9th record as it should.

If I do the same thing but DO NOT click the gray box because All records is bulleted by default then all 14 labels are printed. The same type of thing happens if I open the template, do F4, open the biblio table that way and then use Mail Merge. The same thing also happens if I create the label template and just print the labels without saving the template.

Thought. Are you putting the Next Record field in manually? At least the current versions of OO do so automatically and you should never have to do this. Might explain your problem.
cforker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

If I set the mail merge to process records 1..16, I only get 15 records printed. That is records 1..14 for the first sheet, and record 16 on the second sheet. Record 15 is dropped.

I have to say that it has been very consistent, in that, no matter how I select the records to be printed it always does the above.

All of the records are displayed in the mail merge dialog box.
cforker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

I have worked out what perhaps I did wrong.

I wanted to use a different font type and size from the default setting. I had cut and pasted the first label onto all 14.

I have now created a new label sheet and only cut and pasted the first 13. The last label was changed as the first, and hey presto it all works.

Very happy bunny.

OO must be adding something else along side the field entry in the last label. JohnV's reference to the Next Record field got me thinking although I was not sure what this was, or how it is entered.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that this was a "Next Record" issue because this field appears in all labels except the last one which I never noticed before. (To see what's going on in a set of labels choose a style like Avery C2166 that doesn't have many labels on a page. Insert only 3 fields as rows, click the New Doc button and toggle F9 so you can view the fields completely.)

Quote:
I wanted to use a different font type and size from the default setting. I had cut and pasted the first label onto all 14.

Don't cut & paste. When you originally set up the labels click the Options tab and check Synchronize contents. After you click New Doc make your changes to the upper left label only then click Synchronize and the edit will be applied to all labels.
cforker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Regards

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: