OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

my suggestions for Next Version of Writer (linux)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vzzt!
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: my suggestions for Next Version of Writer (linux) Reply with quote

these are my wishes for Writer next version (i know that linux or windows versions are almost the sames at interface and functions. i use ms office, openoffice for linux and windows, staroffice for windows and linux, easy office for windows. more of them i use ms office and open office for mdk linux).

Feel free to add your suggestions-wishes
(the online bug-issue post tool, ****zilla, is not 1 of my favourites, i like guis a lot!)

i would like to have:

01- a zoom button at the common toolbars instead of view > scale
02- a wordart like function from inside writer instead of using draw > format > fontswork and then copy-pasting in writer
03- B (for bold) and I (for italics) in my greek localised version instead of F and K (these are in german lang)
04- a way to add a keyboard shortcut for any special character (symbol...)
05- more page boarders to choose from (like pencils, butterflies, balls)
06- a better, more alive clipart collection instead of the bullets etc
07- a button at first window f printers settings, so i can choose to print in grayscale
08- a really working button for landscape-portrait printing from inside printers settings instead of doing this only from format > page
09- better doc-sxw and sxw-doc conversion (without problems in bullets and images)
10- a plugin to add in ms word so would be able to read sxw
11- an sxw to pdf export capability
12- at menu insert > header/footer there is no need to add another menu selected/not selected. header/footer can be selected or deselected from the main menu
13- a package that would start installing with a double-click and letting you choose the path to install
14- thesaurus and abc correction installed by default at my localised version
15- better toolbar flexibility (when you try to move them)
16- help context files not only in english
17- at the ctrl+p window i would like to be able to click directly into "select pages" area instead of selecting first the option and writing afterwards
18-a faster program start-up. even with a systray icon on startup.
19-a page break icon at default toolbars
20-speach possibility (reads what you write)
21-to be able to save a new-empty file as soon as you open-create it. when working with ms word, first think i do when i create a new file is to save-name it.
22-some buttons at toolbars, they sould be shown active but they do not. for example the left-right-center buttons, when you select table cells, are not shown active, but they should be.
23-when i mark some text and trying to drag it or ctrl+drag it, i would like to see the arrow cursor instead of the text-input cursor
24-a better car Laughing

- i ll be back with more! Smile
if something of above already exists, tell me to remove the wish Very Happy

Last edited by vzzt! on Mon May 19, 2003 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, we just need to get all these great ideas into Issuezilla as enhancement requests. Wink

Quote:
- an sxw to pdf export capability

This is already supported in the newer developer releases.
tyFUZZ
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that this ideas won't just be made for the Linux version... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: my suggestions for Next Version of Writer (linux) Reply with quote

vzzt! wrote:

- better doc-sxw and sxw-doc conversion (without problems in bullets and images)

- a plugin to add in ms word so would be able to read sxw

Firstly, knock on Bill G's door and ask him how a doc file works.

Secondly what does MS word have to do with linux??
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what he ment! Exclamation

vzzt!, good suggestions. To make them count, please join www.openoffice.org and file issues on the most important suggestions you have. File them as enhancement suggestions.

Before you file a new issue, make sure that an issue regarding your suggestion does not already exist. If it does, you can vote for it! Or add a comment.

IssueZilla or whatever the system is called is unfortunately quite "user hostile", but if you can live with Linux, then you can surely handle it. Smile
vzzt!
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: no need to be smart to figure it out! Reply with quote

@Guest
- billy who? Laughing
- it`s simple. after microsoft`s success in usa courts and after microsoft`s even bigger success with xbox, the day that microsoft will no longer be able to sell ms office (including ms word) in that price is not that far. will turn even to ms office linux version Shocked
- just an opinion. cheers Rolling Eyes

@Curtz
i`m having a look now at IssueZilla. thanks Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: