OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

New user - formatting in MS Word docs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: New user - formatting in MS Word docs Reply with quote

Hi,

Apologies in advance for the level of this question.... but I''ve trawled the forum(s) and can't find anything which pertains to it specifically....

I've just installed my first copy of OpenOffice.org - great stuff, but I'm having a few problems with documents I created in MS Word on another computer. When I open them up in OpenOffice, the formatting is really quite awry... there are lines etc on the page, graphics come out wonky, text appears in boxes, and in some cases the text has even disappeared entirely. Changing the settings in OpenOffice doesn't seem to help that much.

Does anyone have either helpful hints to resolve these issues, or else links to a HowTo or other documentation/threads to help me out here?

Many thanks,

Sam
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

It is true and sad to say that the OOo filters for MS Office files are still in need of further fine tuning. However as my users of this forum pointed out earlier, the filter will never be perfect UNLESS MS opens up to the public how they deal with their file formats.

I have some bad experience with badly formatted .doc which came out extremely messy in OOo. I think it is due to the way most MSO users format their documents in an ad hoc manner. OOo has a better scheme for this, try the Style function (F11) and you will see that ALL your documents employing the same style have the uniform look.

Please do not hesitate to send me a private message from this forum so that I can arrange for a copy of your .doc to be transferred to me (of course only if it is not confidential) in order for me to have a look of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: