OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Fill in the Blank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthetik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Fill in the Blank Reply with quote

Hello everyone, maybe someone can help me.

I am wondering if there is a way that you can create a "template like" file that allows you to fill in blanks, something like an adodbe acrobat pdf file. A template that I can email my clients that you can use the tab feature that will automatically go to a different field that needs to be filled in, or clicked on to mark an X or checkmark. Thanx for any info.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. You want to create a form, and OOo Writer will do this just fine. See the Writer Guide for details, or Google for "openoffice form" and you should find lots of instructions.

However, it's not exactly trivial to create a form, and the people you send it to will need to have OOo installed just to fill in the blanks. PDF forms are more common and most people already have Acrobat reader, which can fill in PDF forms. Although OOo can export to PDF, I don't think you can create PDF forms using OOo.

Another possibility, which seems attactive to me, is to create a form that can be accessed through the web using a standard web browser. OOo has some capability in this area, through a technology called XForms (XML forms). But I've not been able to figure out how to make it work, so I can't say whether this is feasible or not.
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: OOo 2 Writer - how to create a PDF form Reply with quote

OpenOffice.org 2 Writer - how to create a PDF form you can fill in

Open a new blank writer document.
Type a phrase to use as a label (Example: Last name)
View > Toolbars > Form Controls (Checked)
Move the cursor over the Form Control Toolbar until the tooltip shows Text Box. Click the icon.
Drag the cursor over the location where you want to insert the text box.
If necessary, resize it using the handles or move it while the cursor shows a plus shape.
(Optional): Right-click the text box and change options - name, submission type etc....
Repeat for all the fields to enter.
If you want a default value for some or all of the fields, Click the Design Mode On/Off icon on the Form Control Toolbar to toggle off the design mode, then fill in the default values for the appropriate field(s).
File > Save As PDF...
Save it.
Open PDF document using Adobe Acrobat.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OpenOffice.org 2 Writer - how to create a PDF form you can fill in ...

Hey that's cool. Thanks for the clue. I've been looking for some alternative way to distribute forms, rather than emailing people a (*cough*) .doc.

One snag: It seems I can't do anything terribly useful with the form using the free reader. I can't save or email a filled-in form (or better yet, just the user data); all I can do is print the filled form.

And a nit: the PDF form is rather heavy-weight: 150k for a form with 25 characters and two text boxes. Any suggestions for trimming this down?
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
One snag: It seems I can't do anything terribly useful with the form using the free reader. I can't save or email a filled-in form (or better yet, just the user data); all I can do is print the filled form.

That's standard [non]functionality for Reader and PDF forms. To e-mail a "filled-in" form you have to have a way to attach the FDF data (the user-supplied form data that exists in a file separate from the form).. which doesn't happen automatically. This takes a JavaScript action that's usually coded in Acrobat by the form's creator.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
naught101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to add a "submit" button, and write a macro that sends an email with the input in it?

I have no idea what such a macro would look like...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: