OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo in the enterprise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJENSEN

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: OOo in the enterprise Reply with quote

Query: To what extent is it possible to create enterprise solutions that work with OOo, such as the Information Bridge Framework that Microsoft created to use with Office 2003?

This was an issue raised by a businessman in London whose company was thinking about using OOo.

for more information, check issue # 28478.

Thanks
GraemeWi
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar level both MS and Lotus have options so that SAP can download directly into spreadsheets / word. If OOo were to have a similar option for enterprise solutions like SAP then there may be more interest in the business community.

Having said that I'm trialing OOo the the organisation I work for - I really like OOo, but we could never ditch excel without having an alternate direct export option in SAP.

Cheers,

G
jwr
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: option for enterprise solutions like SAP Reply with quote

We are planning to integrate OOo into an enterprise solution (SAP) around 15 oct. 06.

We will start by using Writer and Impress, using OOo 2.0.3 and SAP R/3 Rel 4.6c.
(Excel and Access cannot be replaced yet. We use a lot of sheets and applications with complex formulas and these must be reviewed).

While testing we revealed a few potential problems:

- Formatting errors in conversions .DOC <-> .ODT.
- OLE-linking-transfer (SAP-attributes into Writer- textfields) is not supported.
- Writer and Impress are not embedded in SAP and require extra clicks to upload edited files.
- Users "forget" to close documents at data storage ("Opened" Documents are locked and cannot be stored/uploaded to the SAP-database), resulting in vague error messages. See description in Post subject: "Checkin (Upload) an opened file into SAP/R3 causes an error" at: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=25355&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165
- OOo is slow. Some PCs need extra memory.
Fenix*NBK*
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your needs - but MS Office 2003 has a LOT more features than OpenOffice 2:
-incremental updates on Windows
-great email client
-grammar check in Word
-cliparts
-templates
-Additional software that integrates with Office: Visio, Project...

...all of that is lacking from OpenOffice 2.

So if you have some serious needs, then MS Office is the only way there is.

But if your needs are very basic ones, then you are OK with OpenOffice 2.
9point9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenix*NBK* wrote:
-incremental updates on Windows

That are actually really big downloads, as big as OOo. I've given up downloading anything from MS anymore (I get DIrectX from somewhere else) just because their download system has got so much worse.
Fenix*NBK* wrote:
-great email client

As an email client, it's hopeless. It's only advantages over Thunderbird are it's PIM features. It doesn't have any real anti-spam system.
Fenix*NBK* wrote:
-cliparts
-templates

Both of which you could download from various free sources. Clipart and templates are not needed by many people, thus who do use them, always use the same things! When will people realise that their is nothing original about delivering a presentation which has a stick man with an exclamation mark in it?

In an enterprise, I see OOo doing comparable things to MS Office. MS Office does have some big disadvantages. It will run only on Windows which means that Unix users will need a system like VMWare or Citrix to be able to run it. This is extremely expensive and never works completely like a native environment.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know about the "bridge" in MSO.

I have used the ability to record changes as the document moves between users...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
9point9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitonyak wrote:
I have used the ability to record changes as the document moves between users...

As a result of the unspecified nature of the MS formats, track changes is dangerous to use between different versions of MS Office. In different versions the edits may show differently.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GraemeWi wrote:
On a similar level both MS and Lotus have options so that SAP can download directly into spreadsheets / word. If OOo were to have a similar option for enterprise solutions like SAP then there may be more interest in the business community.

Having said that I'm trialing OOo the the organisation I work for - I really like OOo, but we could never ditch excel without having an alternate direct export option in SAP.
So, why can the SAP developers not incorporate the option to export in ODF? This would allow other programs (as well as OOo) to access the data.

This should be the way of the future. Export data to a standard (and open) format that can be read by any program. (Jeepers, if ODF is too hard, what's wrong with csv and plain text?)

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
jwr
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: OOo in Enterprise solutions Reply with quote

GraemeWi wrote "So, why can the SAP developers not incorporate the option to export in ODF?".
They certainly can. However a contract between MS and SAP may still be valid, in which these companies agree to some modes of cooperation ( I am not sure about the details, but these may be found in the web).
There are some features, SAP implemented to start a printing procedure for MS Word documents in SAP. Theoretically these also should start a printing procedure for OOo-documents. The feature however will not be enabled for OOo in standard SAP. You will have to pay for a special customizing effort to activate the feature.
Of course a workaround exists: you may start the OOo-tool and start the printing procedure from the tool.

I agree with Dale:
"Export data to a standard (and open) format that can be read by any program"
Enterprise solutions require consistency and stable datastructures over longer periods of time (10-20 years) than avarage PC lifetime (2-3 years?). I don't think Microsoft will be able to support a native code for the required periods of time. Enterprise solutions require standards. Engineers managed to introduce standards for bolts and nuts, not lawyers and salesmen. Standards require some thinking in advance. A native coded system leads to quick and dirty coding, mostly just to be able to sell nice features, followed by dangerous holes for entering viruses, trojans and other expensive deseases. Certainly a standard will reduce the viruslevel compared to the native coded system.

Enterprise solutions will not be upset by "really big downloads for updates", as mentioned by 9point9. Enterprise solutions will not allow client users to directly download updates to client PC's from the internet. Updates need to be tested for consistency. After lengthy and expensive testing the customized software packages will be distributed by LAN-transfers to all clients within the company. We use a distributing system to manage this task in WS2K (although the distributing system for updates normally should be part of a professional OS. Basically enterprise solutions require professional workstations, not MS-based PCs).
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: OOo in Enterprise solutions Reply with quote

jwr wrote:
There are some features, SAP implemented to start a printing procedure for MS Word documents in SAP. Theoretically these also should start a printing procedure for OOo-documents. The feature however will not be enabled for OOo in standard SAP. You will have to pay for a special customizing effort to activate the feature.....
And then it will be a feature in the next major software release - after you've funded the development. Dontcha just love vendors Rolling Eyes

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: OOo in Enterprise solutions Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
jwr wrote:
There are some features, SAP implemented to start a printing procedure for MS Word documents in SAP. Theoretically these also should start a printing procedure for OOo-documents. The feature however will not be enabled for OOo in standard SAP. You will have to pay for a special customizing effort to activate the feature.....
And then it will be a feature in the next major software release - after you've funded the development. Dontcha just love vendors Rolling Eyes

If it meant that much to you to be first then Yes you pay and then all benefit. That is how it works - someone pays. Someone always has to pay - if you think anything non-trivial gets built for free you are kidding yourself.

Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: