OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Calc + Base integration OR Calc only?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feldmann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Calc + Base integration OR Calc only? Reply with quote

I have a simple, personal project that I'm working on where I would like to add to a fairly large listing of data and which I want to analyze in various ways. I've gotten quite far searching around, but can't quite seem to wrap it up so I thought I'd see if anyone had some suggestions for me. (BTW, I apologize for incorrect naming of menus/options/etc., I use a non-English version of OOo)

Data format:
Each entry is four simple values (date, class, value, comment)

Operations:
I would like to be able to do things like perform calculations on all the values of those entries of a certain class within a certain range of dates, etc.

Current implementation:
The need to extract different slices of the data seemed ideal for a database. So...
I've got a Base database setup with a Table for all my data, and a Form to input new entries.

I can also create static Queries that are fine for the moment although I'll probably end up looking into how to specify parameters at runtime (I only mention this because I'd like to do it from Calc)

Problems:
- What is the best way to import Base data into Calc?
I've found that you can use either Data->Data Pilot, or hit F4 and drag-and-drop them in, but I can't find any way to get them to automatically update when changes are made to the database.

- Is there a way to automatically update data imported using the above method?
You can do Data->Data Pilot->Update or Data->Update Range, respectively, but this seems to have to be done manually for each input source. If you have several several sources this is time consuming/tedious/error-prone.

- Would I be better off going with an all Calc implementation, or is there a better way I could be using the database to fix this?

Just some hints would be fine. I don't really need a long walk-through, just not sure what it is I should be googleing for at this point. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: