OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I get to the data in my database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RetiredInMaine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: How do I get to the data in my database? Reply with quote

This is my first time on this forum. In looking over prior threads I see my problem is similar to many that of many others. But I don't see any solutions. Maybe I'm just dense.

I have some club member data in a spread sheet that I want to be able to update and create views to link with OOo mail merge, actually I want to create mailing labels. I was able to connect to the spread sheet and convert it to an .odb file, but it always opens in read only mode. I then went to the trouble of importing the data to an MySQL data base, but now I can't connect to or open that data base.

I have read through several threads on this forum with similar problems. Some of them imply that base can open an MySQL db, but when I try it does not show MySQL as one of the options. When I tied to connect, as opposed to open, there is a mysql choice, but than I am asked if I want odbc or jdbc. When I choose odbc it asks me for the data source. I'm not really sure what this means, does it imply that I need an aplication of some sort? or does it just want a driver? I tried giving it the full path name of my db but it didn't much like that. It tells me it can't make the connection.

Also whenever I open base it always takes me to the database wizard. Is there any way to just open the form without going through the wizard?

Basicly, I need information about how to use base, but I can only find simplistic stuff that tells me how to create a new db, but nothing about how to acually connect and use a db once I have one. Can some one either tell me how to:
Actually open my odb file so I can update and create views?
or: Connect/open my MySQL db so I can use base to update and create views?

Also can someone point me to some actual documentation? Or a good book? I've tried two books on OO o but they don't do much with base. In fact both assume the reader is a raw beginner and give just enough information to do simple stuff. And the sections on base are the smallest, like they really only put it in to say they diiscuss it. Many questions are simply not addressed. I also tried the tutorial on the OOo web site, but again, just how to create a new db. It did say that the forms would always say "read only" but then said you can still modify the data, but nowhere does it say how. Another thread on this forum discussing a similar problem said that the db was opened in read only mode, however I have no idea how to open it other than by going through base. It did say you could use php to solve the problem, but I don't know php and I've been retired for 10 years and not much in the mood to learn another programming language.

BTW, I am using Linux, Fedora 5 distrobution. I do not have Windows on my machine. If I did I would simply use Acess which I used to use when I ran a Windows system.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help me.
r4zoli
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me too much qouestion in one post, but it is my feeling, and my English not so good.

I see two solution, to you:
1. Database from linked spreadsheets has non changable tables, does not have primary key. - solution - create empty database (native format), drag and drop the table into new file with creating new primary key.
2. connetct to existing MySQL database, read FAQ on OOo site:
http://dba.openoffice.org/FAQ/specific.html#connectmysql
Zoltan
RetiredInMaine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: I tried solution 1 but ......... Reply with quote

I tried solution 1 from last post but was unable to drag the entire table from the spreadsheet into the new data base definition. I also tried to drag the table from the odb file I set up from the xls table and that also failed.

Specificaly I was unable to do a "select all" on either the xls or odb table. I tried to select all the fields in the xls table by draging the cursor and then copying. This worked but I could not paste into the new table. I also tried to select all the fields in the odb database I created from the xls table but was unable to so.

I am able to drag and drop individual fields, but that will take me forever.

I'm still working on solution 2, but I would prefer to solve the problem using OOo native format as I only have a one table database and mysql seems like overkill for my application.

Any help greatly appreciated
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was able to connect to the spread sheet and convert it to an .odb file, but it always opens in read only mode.
Open this database, click the Tables icon, right click your table > Copy.

Do File > New > Database > Create New and click Finish. Name it and after the save click the Tables icon, move pointer into the left part of the area below the Tables bar and right click > Paste. Leave the bullet where it is, check the box and click Finish or Create.

If this does not work try saving the XLS file in OOo native format and try again, including the original Connection to that DB.
RetiredInMaine
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: It worked, but new problem arises Reply with quote

Following the last post I was able to creat an odb database by saving the xls db as an odb db and connecting to it. I can now open the table and edit it directly, I can create and run queries, but what I can not do is create a form that will show all of my fields.

I created a form to add new records to the table, but not all the fields show up. The ones at the bottom of the form are sort of folded over so that I see the last fields but some of the ones above them are overlaid.

I supose I could just make two forms and do a two step add, but it seems like I should be able to see all of my fields. I guess this is a bug. I also tried putting some of the fields in a sub form but that didn't work either.

Another problem is that I can only edit the data in the table format. If I create a form to show all of the data it will only open in read only mode. Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?

The data naturally fits in a single table as none of it repeats and all of it is carried for every club member. Anyway I don't know how to move the data into a new db if I create a two table db.

Thank you for the help so far. And if anyone can tell me how to solve the new problem, I would also appeceate it.
r4zoli
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly if the odb file is linked table from spredsheet, always read only in Base, you must create odb with native database, explained above, copy table.

The form wizzard somtimes create form with randomly placed fields, sometimes out of window. you open form in edit mode (right click on form icon edit), search all field, and drag into one place, save it.

wich version of OOo you use? if not newest download it!
Zoltan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: