OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Issues with RC1.1 installation...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidesh0w

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Issues with RC1.1 installation... Reply with quote

Running Win2kSP4. I downloaded the new installer this mornng; however, when clicking on the setup.exe, I received the following error message:

"C:\path\to\setup.exe: Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied."

Now, I'm unable to delete the OOo_1.1rc_WindowsIntel_install directory (or any of its contents) from my computer; can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for your help,

- sidesh0w
cyber_spooky
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got exactly the same problem here! Also win2ksp4.
And when i want to delete the directory with the installation files i get:
"can't delete f0_001: access is denied. the source file may be in use."

it seems every file in that directory has access denied. Very weird.
sidesh0w

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know i'm not alone... :P

anyone have any fixes for this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem on Windows Server 2003. When I extract the archive I get the following error in WinRAR:

! F:\Programs\OpenOffice\OOo_1.1rc_Win32Intel_install.zip: Cannot create OOo_1.1rc_WindowsIntel_install\setup.exe
Access is denied.
! F:\Programs\OpenOffice\OOo_1.1rc_Win32Intel_install.zip: Cannot create OOo_1.1rc_WindowsIntel_install\f0_001
Access is denied.
sidesh0w

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odd thing is that I can rename the OOo_1.1rc_WindowsIntel_install folder, but not delete it or any of its contents. Bah.[/b]
jroeterd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: installation problem Reply with quote

I had this problem way back with the 6?? version. It was because I was attached to a network. After I rebooted without network connection it installed OK.

Mayby this will work for you too.

Greetings,
Jeroen Roeterd
sidesh0w

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen:

Thanks for the tip...sadly, it didn't work.

It looks like there were some weird security settings established on the file (right-click on folder, then "Properties", "Security"). I went in, saw that some weird ownership had been attributed to users ID'd with some weird character strings (e.g., "S10982S-A99..."). Once I restored ownership to my admin account, I was able to delete them successfully.
cyber_spooky
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the permissions are read-only here. i can't change anything...gonna try a safe mode.

EDIT: safe mode doesn't help to delete the directory and neither does the recovery console...this is bad, don't want to format for this stupid folder Crying or Very sad
bernd.salewski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

i got the same problem. how can i solve this. i cannot install the new oo1.1 nor can i delete the installation-folder. the same messages as mentioned above. and i am in administrator-mode (win xp). any solutions to this problem?
i assume such obstacles in the installation-process are not made for getting new users to oo.
Xarrah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: I can't even unzip the compressed folder Reply with quote

I downloaded 1.1rc1 from two different mirrors yesterday. When I tried to unzip the compressed folder I get a 'folder contains no files' error with the windows unzip program and 'file is not supported format' with 7-Zip. I'm using Xp Home Edition Service Pack 1.

As I dial up at 28k any advice would be appreciated before I try again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyber_spooky wrote:
Looks like the permissions are read-only here. i can't change anything...gonna try a safe mode.

EDIT: safe mode doesn't help to delete the directory and neither does the recovery console...this is bad, don't want to format for this stupid folder Crying or Very sad

If you are running win2k and you are having permissions issues, log in as a local (or domain) admin, then go to the security section, you should have an option of "take ownership".

This should change the ownership to the admin, and you can then change the permissions and hoepfully delete them (or re-assign them).

Doug
Somebody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Take Ownership of the install folder and files
2. Uncheck the inheritable permissions check box on the Security tab.
3. Remove the permissions under the advanced button on the Security tab
4. Grant "Everyone" full access to the install folder and all files.
5. Install or delete to your hearts content.
bernd.salewski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can somebody explain the solution for an xp-prof. user? i cant change security-settings in the property-tab of the install-folder.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernd.salewski wrote:
can somebody explain the solution for an xp-prof. user? i cant change security-settings in the property-tab of the install-folder.

You are most likely using "simple" security settings (even though, when using normal I don't remember any thing about ownership...).

Try going to the foulder view section (using linux, can't give you a walk through I am afraid), then go down to the bottom of the long list of tick boxes radio buttons, and you should see some thing about Simpe Foulder permissions (or some thing along those lines).

Once you have ticked or unticked taht (you don't want to use them), go back and have a look at the permissions, you should then see people, that you can alter.

Doug
bernd.salewski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: it worked!!! Reply with quote

Quote:

You are most likely using "simple" security settings (even though, when using normal I don't remember any thing about ownership...).

Try going to the foulder view section (using linux, can't give you a walk through I am afraid), then go down to the bottom of the long list of tick boxes radio buttons, and you should see some thing about Simpe Foulder permissions (or some thing along those lines).

Once you have ticked or unticked taht (you don't want to use them), go back and have a look at the permissions, you should then see people, that you can alter.

Doug

yes, thanks, that was a good tip. it is true i worked with the simple security-settings. i even didn't know that there were "advanced" settings. i changed the settings and found all the dialogues, mentioned here. with a bit fiddling i was able to delete the folders, after taking ownership.

funny thing is, that i wasn't able to instal oo, when i unzipped the setup-files to my hardrive first. but when i installed the software directly from within winrar, i could install 00 without a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: