OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

URL Colours in Calc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1car1
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: URL Colours in Calc? Reply with quote

We have several excel files we use that have hyperlinks to other documents in them.

The colours of the hyperlinks in Calc just look wrong. (see below)

I tried going in to Tools > Options > Appearance and switching off "unvisited" and "visited" links, but it had no affect. Where can I change the colours so they match the excel look?

1car1 - IT Team
acknak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, the link appearance in Calc is controlled in two different places: the foreground text color is changed through the "(un)visited links" settings under Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Appearance > General. The background color seems to be controlled through the "Field Shadings" setting under ... Appearance > Text Document. Unfortunately, the checkboxes for those settings have no effect in Calc, so there is no way to specify "no special color".

Underlining is controlled manually.

If your links only appear on that one dark blue background color, you should be able to specify that for the "Field Shadings". Too bad that's a lousy color for fields otherwise (in Writer, e.g.). I guess you can leave that setting unchecked and then Writer doesn't apply any special background color to fields, but Calc will use the dark blue.

... Oh my. What a mess. On playing around with the manual settings, I find that some background colors will "override" the "Field Shadings" setting, and it looks like your dark blue background is one of them. So setting the "Unvisited links" color to white and the cell background color to your dark blue, and adding the underline looks like the links in Excel. If someone else opens the sheet, it will look different unless they also set the links color option.

There is a bug filed for this: Issue 18479: Field shadings can't be turned off, but it was judged "invalid" by a developer who apparently never investigated the actual behavior of the software. I think I will see about getting it re-activated.[*See edit below]

If an enhancement request were filed, how should it work? It seems like it should really be a style setting, but Calc has no character styles. It also seems like it should be a per-sheet setting, not a global suite (or even Calc) setting. Any ideas?

* Edit: PS: On re-reading the developer's comment, I'm afraid I misunderstood and I retract my statement above. He was specifically referring to the checkbox, and what he said is exactly what the software does. I now understand the comment to mean "The software works exactly as intended and therefore this is not a bug".

Last edited by acknak on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
acknak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my experiments in setting the hyperlink appearance to reproduce what you have in Excel:
Close, but not quite perfect.

Again, this relies on (1) global application/suite settings [link font color], (2) manual text and cell formatting [bold, underlines, background color], and (3) a bizarre side-effect of certain background colors.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Quote:
The background color seems to be controlled through the "Field Shadings" setting under ... Appearance > Text Document. Unfortunately, the checkboxes for those settings have no effect in Calc, so there is no way to specify "no special color".

Not so, on my system. I changed that setting to get the default background colour or another colour of my choice.

I have also created a _Hyperlink cell style to use for cells containing hyperlinks. The only global setting I have changed is "Field Shadings".

That colour persists notwithstanding the use of cell styles. I have dealt with that by using the same colour for the cell style. 1car1, of course, needs more than one style.

Congratulations on discovering which other settings need to be changed.

I will support your efforts at reopening the issue. Some of the responses to issues are quite cavalier.
acknak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon wrote:
acknak wrote:
The background color seems to be controlled through the "Field Shadings" setting under ... Appearance > Text Document. Unfortunately, the checkboxes for those settings have no effect in Calc, so there is no way to specify "no special color".

Not so, on my system. I changed that setting to get the default background colour or another colour of my choice.

Are we talking about two different things? I'm not sure. I just tried again with 2.0.4rc1 and the behavior was the same as 2.0.2. I'm also using Linux--maybe it's different for Windows.

Let me try again.

It's NOT the color setting I'm talking about, it's using the checkbox to say "Don't apply any color at all" that doesn't work in Calc.

Some of the settings under Tools > Options ... Appearance have checkboxes. If the box is checked, then the color setting at the right is applied. If the box is unchecked, then no color setting is applied. That is the design, and that is the way the settings work for Writer (at least). If the "Field Shadings" setting is unchecked, then fields get no special background coloring.

Calc appears to share the "Field Shadings" setting with Writer, but in Calc, the checkbox does not have any effect. No matter if it's checked or not, the color I choose for "Field Shadings" is applied to links in Calc.

That's what I see; is that not how it works for you?
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2.0.2 on a Linux OS. The "field shading" applies to a hyperlink in Calc whether the "On" box is selected or not. I've made the field shading pale yellow to blend in with my _Hyperlink cell style.

I'm talking about Tools >Options >OOo >Appearance : Custom Colours ... Text Document ... Field Shadings. I can't find "Don't apply any color at all".

I think it may have been you and I who discovered some difference to do with dialogue settings in Tools >Options. My computer seems to hear the beat of a different drum.
acknak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm talking about Tools >Options >OOo >Appearance : Custom Colours ... Text Document ... Field Shadings. I can't find "Don't apply any color at all".

For me, if I un-check the "On" checkbox next to Text Document ... Field Shadings, then I get "no color at all"--for Writer, but Calc still uses whatever that Color Setting widget is showing.

The current design is functional, if confusing, for Writer: you un-check the Appearance color settings for Internet links, and then Writer uses the "Internet link" character style to control the link appearance. I think that's how Calc should work, except there are no character styles in Calc.

Next best might be settings under Format > Page somewhere. That wouldn't allow different styles per sheet, but at least the setting would be stored with the document.
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can avoid the colour problem altogether if you use the hyperlink function rather than Insert >Hyperlink. For example:
=HYPERLINK("http://www.openoffice.org";"OpenOffice.org")
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I never thought to look in that direction. This gives you complete manual control over the appearance.

The only limitation I see here is that you can't have the link be only a part of the text in the cell. Certainly not a big deal.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Nice! I never thought to look in that direction. This gives you complete manual control over the appearance.

The only limitation I see here is that you can't have the link be only a part of the text in the cell. Certainly not a big deal.

I always use hyperlinks in Calc in this way. One hidden column of urls, one hidden column of descriptive names and something like:
=HYPERLINK(A1;B1)&T(STYLE("myURL"))
The big advantage is: you keep maintainable lists with urls and display-text separated from each other.
This may even use different styles for protocols or hosts STYLE(IF(LEFT(A1;4)="http";....))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: