OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

MS Access FAQ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: MS Access FAQ Reply with quote

It was suggested that a Microsoft Access / OOoBase FAQ page would make sense, a wiki page has been started to build this FAQ.

MSA-Base FAQ

As is always the case with community efforts this requires the follwoing from 'folks'

Contributions
    Suggestions
    Comments

In a nut shell - involvement. Yes, this means you!

Smile
c09njg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Converting from Access mdb to Ooo Base odb using Mac OSx Reply with quote

My question is concerning the conversion of access mdb's to Ooo base using Mac OSx. I have been collaborating with Ms Access users, and need to open mdb files in Ooo base. Up to this point, I have been unable to do this.

I have searched the associated Wiki for questions and answers, but I have been unable to find an answer that related directly the Mac OSx.

If you could please answer this question, or direct me to the answer, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Nelson Greenleaves
roblopfer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Base and .mde Reply with quote

Hi, everybody. I have a compiled Access file (.mde) that I used to use with the '97 version. Can I open this with Base? Anybody have pointers for me?
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your MDE file contains only forms, reports and VBA modules then there is nothing for you to do with Base - Base does not recognize any of these from Access. Only tables are available from within Base.
pitperic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Converting from Access mdb to Ooo Base odb using Mac OSx Reply with quote

c09njg wrote:
My question is concerning the conversion of access mdb's to Ooo base using Mac OSx. I have been collaborating with Ms Access users, and need to open mdb files in Ooo base. Up to this point, I have been unable to do this.

I have searched the associated Wiki for questions and answers, but I have been unable to find an answer that related directly the Mac OSx.

If you could please answer this question, or direct me to the answer, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Nelson Greenleaves

Try this link..
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1236205,00.html
sean joshua

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Drew,

Basically then, are you saying that Base doesn't really open up an MS Access database file? It only opens up a small portion of what the MS Access software does?
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that would be one way to put it.
mmurrain
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Mac version won't even open MS Access files at all Reply with quote

I have noticed that the option to open up MS Access files (even in the limited form that you can with Base) isn't present on the Mac OS X version of Open Office (2.2.1 was what I tried.) What's up with that? I opened an Access file fine on Linux.

Thanks!
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the answer is for Mac OSX - beyond the fact that the port to that OS is still quite a work in progress.

Also, the standard MS Access connection under windows is to use ADO, not available on the MAC I believe. Under Linux they use ODBC and some OS MDB drivers, so that is why you can do so there.

Look for an ODBC connector for MDB files under the Mac and try using it, that should work.
Tom0290

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewJensen wrote:
Yes, that would be one way to put it.

So how about an export from MS and pick it up in Base? I installed about an hour ago, but people around me are really axious to see how this will work out - sorry for not doing more legwork myself...

Thanks,

Tom
Tom0290

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Actually, my new 2.3 install isn't opening the table, either Reply with quote

Embarassed

I should've realized, before I posted, that I'm trying to open an Access database made with MS Office 2000's Access, and I get nothing. When I select the file, the dialog box goes away and nothing happens - as though I'd shut the application down. There's nothing advanced about this database, it's simply names, addresses, phone no's & email addreses of our contacts, no fancy macros or anything.

We have a few other DB's we use for listing proposals & projects, but again - really simple. Right now, these are the only obstacle I can see to moving us away from MS Office. Am I screwing something up?

BTW, running on a Wintel machine, XP SP2 (patched current), Norton 360. No errors indicated during install.

Tom
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Well, the first thing to do would be to look at this page on the OO.org wiki

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Connecting_to_Microsoft_Access

Then we could start looking how to migrate from an MS Access database to a Base database.
Tom0290

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: At least I tickled up an old thread! Reply with quote

Embarassed Again!

Did it after I posted. I'm not giving myslef a real stellar start here! So for any other newbie tha stumbles down this thread, opening an Access DB in Base is done with the "Connect to an existing" option in the dialog box, not the "Open existing...."

Sorry, Drew.

So far, so good. I've opened and saved a Word document, an Excel document and an Access database. Only one minor formatting issue when I reopened the Word document in Word.

Personal note: I'm a Worperfect guy , we have Word 2000 here which I find to be totally intractable. We'd settled on Office as a standard ( istubbornly stuck with WP), but we're sick of MS and all the issuws around Vista & what not. If this works well with PDF export, I think we'll be gone on it.

Thanks again,

Tom
pauldob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Will there be .mdb import capabilit in future release of OO Reply with quote

can we ask the developers this question?
Paul
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask them on the mailing lists at the main OpenOffice.org web site.

Sorry though, what question are you wanting to ask?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: