OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I create a "fill in" form
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tevans45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: How do I create a "fill in" form Reply with quote

Hi.
I currently have a boilerplate P&S contract in open office. I want to be able to fill in the specific information needed for each separate transaction. In word, I did this as a merge document. I looked at the help index, but the merge tool only seems to allow me to do either an e-mail or letter (which only lets me put in addressess). Any help here?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very doable if we are talking about one tranaction per contract. What does P&S stand for?

Do you want to draw your variable values from a database or be queried for their values when you open the form contract template?
tevans45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: hEADERS Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. Each contract, obviously will have different seller agency names, list agency names, seller, buyer, etc. so I believe a queried response would be good. I just played around a bit on a draft and entered in a "placecard" or what ever its called,,,,, that would work, but then I still have to enter my format (i.e., the tabs, underlined information, bold, etc.) .what's your suggestion?
tevans45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P&S - Purchase and Sale Contract (I'm a realtor).
Yes, one transaction per contract. I want to create one boilerplate w/info that never changes and then be able to "fill in" the parts that will always change and do it so the boilerplate parameters don't change (like margins, lines, etc.) Am I confusing you? (sorry Embarassed )
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, lets do a query for your variables.

Open new doc and type some text like, "The sellers name is ", tap Enter a few times and create the line for a signature and tap Enter. Put your cursor where the seller's name should first appear and do Ctrl+F2 > Variables tab. Select User Field on the left and Text on the right*, give the variable a name like "Seller" but no value and click the green check mark but not Insert as we just want to first define the variable. Select Input Field, Seller will be selected in the middle as it is presently the only defined variable. In the Reference box box enter a prompt like, "Entry Seller's name." Click Insert, put nothing below the prompt and Click OK.

Move your cursor below the signature line (close the Fields dialog if needed and then reopen it), in the Fields dialog select User Field on the left, your only defined variable will be selected in the middle so just click Insert. All other occurences of the seller's name would be done the same or by copying and pastiing the last entry. Please understand that for any defined variable you only want 1 occurence of the Input Field or you will be queried more than once for the same variable value.

Save this document as a template. When a new UntitledX is created from the template you will receive a query for the seller's name and, of course, any others you set up in the same manner.

If I were in your shoes I think that I would prefer to have my seller's name, address, etc. in a database as you will no doubt have more than one document that will contain these items and I wouldn't really want to keep being queried for them. BTW, queries and database fields can be mixed in a document.

*When you get a 0 value in a document you forgot this step as a number is the default.
tevans45
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Query variables,,, Reply with quote

You're good!!! Sorry to take so long to respond but I've been swamped, which in my field is a good thinbg, but sometimes I dont' get to the emails as quick as I'd like. I'll have time this week to create the template following your advice. If I get stuck, I hope I can rely on you again! I really do appreciate this.
Have a great day Smile
Dave189
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:

Open new doc and type some text like, "The sellers name is ", tap Enter a few times and create the line for a signature and tap Enter. Put your cursor where the seller's name should first appear and do Ctrl+F2 > Variables tab. Select User Field on the left and Text on the right*, give the variable a name like "Seller" but no value and click the green check mark but not Insert as we just want to first define the variable. Select Input Field, Seller will be selected in the middle as it is presently the only defined variable. In the Reference box box enter a prompt like, "Entry Seller's name." Click Insert, put nothing below the prompt and Click OK.

Move your cursor below the signature line (close the Fields dialog if needed and then reopen it), in the Fields dialog select User Field on the left, your only defined variable will be selected in the middle so just click Insert. All other occurences of the seller's name would be done the same or by copying and pastiing the last entry. Please understand that for any defined variable you only want 1 occurence of the Input Field or you will be queried more than once for the same variable value.

Save this document as a template. When a new UntitledX is created from the template you will receive a query for the seller's name and, of course, any others you set up in the same manner.

If I were in your shoes I think that I would prefer to have my seller's name, address, etc. in a database as you will no doubt have more than one document that will contain these items and I wouldn't really want to keep being queried for them. BTW, queries and database fields can be mixed in a document.

*When you get a 0 value in a document you forgot this step as a number is the default.

This works but there doesn't seem to be any control over what the text block will look like. Finding and clicking also seems problematic as it didn't always work the way it was supposed to.. I also had to often search for the text field as it was not apparent where it even was on the page.

Am I missing something? Repeating text block in a form would to me be a basic part of any good word proccessor, this is disapointing to me as this is my first use of this program.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:

Hi JohnV,

I have also been thinking about this issue since I started using SO/OOo. Back in the days with M$ Office, I have have all the fields in a given document organized in a nifty form where I can fill them up and bingo, the data will be inserted in the document after I click on the OK button.

However in OOo, the closest (without using a database) is that I can only use Input Fields, which will pop up only when I click on it, so in essance if I have 20 fields to fill in a form, I need to click at least 20 times to bring up each dialog, unlike in M$ Word, the fields are all put in a form, so I would not miss any field.

Any suggestion?
Dave189
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also been thinking about this issue since I started using SO/OOo. Back in the days with M$ Office, I have have all the fields in a given document organized in a nifty form where I can fill them up and bingo, the data will be inserted in the document after I click on the OK button.

However in OOo, the closest (without using a database) is that I can only use Input Fields, which will pop up only when I click on it, so in essance if I have 20 fields to fill in a form, I need to click at least 20 times to bring up each dialog, unlike in M$ Word, the fields are all put in a form, so I would not miss any field.

Any suggestion?

If you save your form with INPUT FIELDS and as a Template you won't have to click on any fields when you open the form it will ask you for each field automatically as long as you created it as an INPUT FIELD

To create these INPUT FIELDS once you have created the field,CTL-F2, User field, name field and then by clicking on the green check, or by simply selecting any you already have created (middle box) you must then highlight INPUT FIELD ( the left box) before you insert the field. Click on insert button a new box will appear write in a description, like, "Enter name, address, etc."', in that top box and in the bigger bottom box I like to click on the space bar twice just so I can see the field.

That's it!

Also DO NOT copy and paste these INPUT FIELDS ......... if you have repeating fields ( if you place say a persons name in several places on the form) because the template will ask you to fill the same field several times.

Instead go back and insert the repeating fields using Ctl-F2 and simply select the field directly(middle box) without highlighting the input field selection first

These fields can be copy and pasted and you will not be ask to fill them out.

I also suggest having the first page be set up to hold all your input fields, if you have allot to fill out. If none of your fields are INPUT FIELDS now then all you have to do is create this page.

remember also to save it as a template file also

OO is fantastic with forms.. It has eliminated 99.9 percent of the errors that were commonly made at our office.

Actually by copying fields and pasting special as a dde link you can fill out forms in completely different files all at the same time!!

Last edited by Dave189 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:32 am; edited 2 times in total
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David. I was wrong in saying that I need to click on the field to input data in each input field. Nvertheless I think the OOo way is not as elegent as M$ Word where the entire collection of fields are organized in a single form. In that way I can have all the data in a single view.

For example if I have a template for standard tenancy agreement in a shopping complex, all I need to fill up are the tenant's name, the lot number/shop number wihtin the shopping complex, the rental, the deposit sum etc. All these can be put inside a single form in M$ Word, but not in OOo. OOo will present all these data in x number of dialog if I have x fields.

Another problem I have is that I rely on the keyboard more then the mouse. The pop-up dialog for input field is hard to nevigate for people like me. Just try to press Enter when the cursor is inside the dialog, it will put a hard return in the form. Pressing Tab should normally move the focus on buttons but in this case, it will create a tab space in the input field. Twisted Evil
Dave189
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mechanic's are different but they didn't bother any one in our office because of the increase in accuracy.
Not sure what you mean on the other, you certainly could have OO have a separate form where all the inputting is done and then have it populate an entire form.
Guess I don't understand that one.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am rumbling is that there is not a simple way to create a single form without using the Base component of OOo to achieve my aim.

I know I can make a db by using OOo Base and then create a form in OOo Base to take the input into the db then calling F4 in my Writer template to pu the db fields into it. Kind of tedious Evil or Very Mad
Dave189
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to create a form that creates a separate record for each tenant that is definitely a database function.
I was thinking you just wanted to have a fill the form, like filling out a lease type of thing. Which is what we use it for, that and owner contracts, lease options, evictions forms and for us it was a godsend by eliminating almost all the typical errors the girls would make tabing from field to field... Having a one page sheet to proof read for errors instead of the whole contract was great also.
We only use the database to hook up to our already existing databases, for mass mailing to owners, tenants and automatically filling out three day notice and it does it seamlessly We can now do all our three day notices in minutes when it use to takes us hours.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you gather all the fields into a page? did you print it out for proof reading? I am looking for ideas to streamline my office work flow.

Thanks.
Dave189
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just CT-F2 and insert them on their own page as per above. I use page one as my INPUT page and page 2 on is the actual form that is to be filled out. And Yes I print out the entire sheet including page one which has all the Input fields there.

Makes it real easy to proof read and you not jumping all over the from when inputing

Actually I also change page two, the beginning of the form to page one when it prints but that is another story

REMEMBER There TWO types of fields in OO

INPUT FIELDS which ask you for information when you open a template

and NON INPUT FIELDS which do not

They will have the same name and will contain the same info.

One ask for info one does not it just displays the info.

ITHE INPUT FIELDS are what you put on the first page they will ask you for whatever it is you want to input
Never copy and paste these

The NON INPUT FIELDS are what populate the form
Copy and paste anywhere you need this info. If you have to put a person's name in say five different parts of the form this is the one to use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: