OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Custom Outline Numbering: Skip certain Numbers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad Elvis
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Custom Outline Numbering: Skip certain Numbers? Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a 360 pages document, very wel formatted with outline numbering. In the outline numbering menu, I have chosen a numbering style for each outline level. Headings 1 are numbered with capital letters, headings 2 numbered with small letters and the other headings are numbered with numbers.

My problem is, I need to skip the capital letter "I" in the heading 1 numbering. After the heading 1 called H. I need J. for the next heading 1. How can I do this? I believe I would have set set some kind of custom numbering stye in the outline numbering menu. Is there a possibility to do this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insert a dummy paragraph for "I", then make it hidden by adding a "Hidden Paragraph" field.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
Insert a dummy paragraph for "I", then make it hidden by adding a "Hidden Paragraph" field.

My suggestion is a bit of a kludge.

Create a new style from the Heading 1 style (for example) and give it a unique name. Apply it to a paragraph. Right-click on the new style and choose Numbering/Bullets. Make sure the Position tab contains values that match the original Heading 1 style. On the Options tab, choose level 1, select your letter numbering style, and in "start at" choose the value you need (for example, J would be 10). Save your changes.

It's a bit futzy about correctly numbering subsequent headings with that new style. You'd have to create all the headings you need right away, based on that new style paragraph (position at the end and press Enter for each heading you'll need)---because otherwise, if you apply the new style to a regular paragraph, it's going to use the "restart numbering" value and start with, to continue the example, J again.

To include the new style in a table of contents, insert or edit a TOC field. On the Index/Table tab, select the Additional Styles box. Click the ellipsis button next to it. In Assign Styles, choose your new heading style, and click the double-arrow button facing right to promote the style. Click OK. The TOC should automatically update with the new heading style.

Good luck!

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Bad Elvis
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot guys, I have created the dummy paragraph and hid the text in the character options. works absolutely fine.

if i hide the paragraph with a hidden paragraph field, the text will be hidden, but not its number (the "I" which i want to be skipped)
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing is that you have something that works, however we must be doing something differently because both methods (adding a hidden pp field, or selecting the whole heading and setting the "hidden" character attribute) work the same for me: both the heading text and the automatic number are hidden.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: