OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

disregarding cells with no data entered when calc'g avg.s?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rnrasmus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: disregarding cells with no data entered when calc'g avg.s? Reply with quote

I am developing a scorecard that includes scoring elements that may not always be relevent. Is there a way I can instruct Math to disregard that element when calculating the average.

For example, suppose I am trying to score surveys on a 1to5 basis by asking about 5 specific attributes (such as cost, service, food quality, food quantity, decor,) of the diner's experience, and then calculate an "overall" score. Some survey respondents may omit one or more of those elements. I don't want to include one of the missing elements in the "overall" rating, as whatevernumber I imputed to that element would skew the overall calculation.

So, if the patron only answers 4 of the 5 elements, I would like the cell that is calculating the average to divide the total of the 4 answers by 4, not 5. Is there a way for the function in that cell to be told to disregard a blank cell that is supposed to be used as part of the average tally?
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Calc, the AVERAGE() function will ignore empty cells, so you shouldn't need to worry, but make sure you don't put 0 for a non-response.
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickRandom wrote:
In Calc, the AVERAGE() function will ignore empty cells, so you shouldn't need to worry, but make sure you don't put 0 for a non-response.

Depending on how your data is being processed you might have zeroes where no response has been recorded. You can work around zeros if you have to:

=AVERAGE(IF(cell_range <> 0; cell_range; ""))
but finish editing with Ctrl+Shift+Enter (not enter. This makes it an array formula, which looks like
{=AVERAGE(IF(cell_range <> 0; cell_range; ""))
(Calc puts the bracer in for you)

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: