OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

database for OpenOffice
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shellad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:25 am    Post subject: database for OpenOffice Reply with quote

Are there any plans to include a database with OpenOffice? I have very basic database needs and the thought of using mysql or postgresql scares me a bit. Are there any good front-end tools for these databases that make them easier to use?

Thanks.
dill
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, phpmyadmin is quite good. For basic database administration on linux, you might also check out webmin, which has a module for mysql. See webmin.com for more info.
urlich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MySQL isn't that hard to use once you get the hang of it. Great thing is that it's a true RDBMS with features similar to those you get with commercial databases. It's also quite fast. MS Access pales in comparison.
Bowties

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysql is a great product. It's also free and there's a huge community of users. Give it a try. You won't regret it.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Anything less 'Heavy weight' then MySQL etc? Reply with quote

I think casual users like me would like to see something which requires less tweaking like MySQL and PHP etc be included in OOo. Something that can really challange MS Access in terms of user friendliness... Any idea? Laughing
urlich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe what's really needed is a mysql or postgresql front-end that's seamlessly integrated into the OOo suite? To the end-user, it looks like an OOo database application but really, it's just a front-end to a third-party database. Since there are plenty of good database engines out there, it doesn't make sense for OOo to reinvent that piece. However, a good front-end could make it seem like something akin to Access.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!!! this is exactly what i tried to say... (forgive me for my bad English). I tried using MySQL but was really put off by the intimidating command line etc. Connecting OOo to MySQL also pose a great challange to me and I still hadn't got it running yet under OOo despite having read (and not able to digest fully) and tried the many ways in faqs and howtos that i have found on the net.

It would be great if either MySQL or similar relational database is being tied to OOo just like Adabas in SO. I have tried using Adabas in SO5.2 but the result is not up to expectation as apperantly Adabas wasn't that solid and keep on crashing my PC. However the integration of Adabas into SO do give average user like me an easier way to create and maintain a relational database.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps! the last message is from me. Didn't log in as I was trying out a new browser and forgotten that I used auto login in my old browser.
yogo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a good idea that needs development resources. There is some work being done in the database access project for OOo. Not sure if they are thinking along these lines but there's been a lot of talk about better database integration for some time. Check out the project home page for the latest:

http://dba.openoffice.org/
nosebleed
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything useful to somebody that can be added to OpenOffice.org will make it better. I read their project page and it seems that the implementation of some kind of database program is underway. I think there is a problem with resources, though, so there may not be a full-featured database program.

Good luck to all of the Open Source developers out there! By the way, can anyone provide a link to where I can find this free MySQL database program.
Bowties

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most linux distributions come with mysql. If it's not installed by default, it's usually available on the cd somewhere. Use the binaries that come with your distribution as those will be better than generic ones. Alternatively, if you want the very latest code or your OS vendor doesn't offer mysql, then you can download it from the main website at:

http://www.mysql.com
tyFUZZ
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... My question is:

Does MySQL works fine in cross-platform? If not, what DB will?

I need to have a database with a user interface as easy as Access (to include text,
photos, graphics, etc.) , but 4 people must work at the same time in this database.

2 of them have got Linux Madrake 9.0.
The other 2, have got Windows 98 S.E.

How to do it?

Thank-you.
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mysql runs on almost all platforms including linux and windows. If you're going to have multiple users on a database, a database 'server' is your best bet and mysql certainly fits that bill. There are a number of third-party database front-ends that should accommodate your needs. It's also possible to use OOo as a front-end by linking a data source and creating a user-friendly form.
tyFUZZ
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draude wrote:
(...)There are a number of third-party database front-ends that should accommodate your needs. It's also possible to use OOo as a front-end by linking a data source and creating a user-friendly form.

Thank-you draude!

Any suggestions on such software? (and what OOo part does the forms?)

I just need to put my mind inside that ideas, as I was a M$-educated-school-student
(had no choice! In Portugal, on high-school you can only learn M$..) Crying or Very sad

So, if you can give me some clues, I will do some research...

I may have success, who knows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: