OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Dragon Naturally Speaking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katherinekatz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Dragon Naturally Speaking Reply with quote

I use voice recognition a lot and noticed that Dragon didn't work well in writer. I downloaded the Java Access Bridge But It made no difference Surprised . Is that right or hasn't it been properly installed? Is there any other way to improve dragon in writer? Thanks in advance.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking Reply with quote

Katherine Katz wrote:
I use voice recognition a lot and noticed that Dragon didn't work well in writer. I downloaded the Java Access Bridge But It made no difference Surprised . Is that right or hasn't it been properly installed? Is there any other way to improve dragon in writer? Thanks in advance.

What problems are you having?I used to find that Dragon did not work very well with open office, but now that I'm running version 9 preferred edition with two gig of RAM, it seems to work very much better. I have uploaded a small test file I just created:
http://maxqnzs.com/test.odt
I did not edit this file at all, in order to show Dragon's actual performance. The only problem I found was that the end, when trying to control the toolbar through Dragon. Eventually, I was able to open the "File>Save" dialogue by voice, using the control key to force command recognition. That small glitch was responsible for the stray characters at the end of the last paragraph of my test file. Other than that though, Dragon seems to be working very much better than it did. Certainly it's working better in Firefox than it ever did, I've just dictated this entire post, and Dragon eight never worked this well when entering posts in Web forums.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
katherinekatz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Dragon 8. I can't "bold that" "Italic that" etc by voice. I can't use voice for "file/save" type commands and I can't correct things after a paragraph or so -- it forgets it ever dictated such a thing.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine Katz wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm using Dragon 8. I can't "bold that" "Italic that" etc by voice. I can't use voice for "file/save" type commands and I can't correct things after a paragraph or so -- it forgets it ever dictated such a thing.

IMO, the upgrade to 9 is worth the $$. Confused Embarassed

katherinekatz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Is 9 good in writer? on a par with word? I've got 512 Ram. Do you suggest I upgrade that too, Will that help 9?
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine Katz wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Is 9 good in writer? on a par with word? I've got 512 Ram. Do you suggest I upgrade that too, Will that help 9?

I don't have MSO, so can't compare to Word, sorry. 9 is a real hog, though, so definitely get more RAM. Even with 8, I noticed the differnce when I moved from 512 to 768MB, but 9 really needs a Gig.

katherinekatz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for beeing so quick. I need to know wheather basic formatting commands work in writer e.g. "bold that" . Are things correctable after 4 patagraphs are dictated, and can you double click to correct words in writer? Thanks again. Very Happy

In one day I've been made a general user! I joined yesterday!
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katherine Katz wrote:
Thanks for beeing so quick. I need to know wheather basic formatting commands work in writer e.g. "bold that" . Are things correctable after 4 patagraphs are dictated, and can you double click to correct words in writer? Thanks again. Very Happy

In one day I've been made a general user! I joined yesterday!

sorry but it looks like you're 0 for 3 on this one.basic formatting commands do not appear to work, and words from previous paragraphs are not selected when Dragon is instructed to do so. Interestingly, on this matter, when I selected all four paragraphs that I had dictated in to open office writer and pasted them on to DragonPad, dragon was immediately able to recognize and select words from anywhere in the entire block of text. Also double-clicking words does not bring up the correction dialog. None of this has really been much of an issue for me, because for years I've been used to using DragonPad anyway. I do all my dictation into DragonPad, adding basic formatting like bold and italics, and then cut and paste into my preferred word processor for final finishing. this still achieves my end of dramatically reducing the amount of keystrokes only to make, and increases the efficiency of Dragons recognition and accuracy. Cold comfort I know, sorry!

katherinekatz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news! It saves me 200 dollars US! I'll start using dragonpad myself. Thanks for all your info. Very Happy It's nice to talk to a super user on my firs day registered in Open Office. I'm chuffed.
katherinekatz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would like writer to work better with Dragon Please concider voting for this issue

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=71542[url]
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katherinekatz wrote:
If you would like writer to work better with Dragon Please concider voting for this issue

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=71542

Slow down there, Katherine! Very Happy

Seriously, this a Dragon issue, not an OOo issue. Instead of telling the OOo developers to imptrove its functioning with Dragon, you need to tell Dragon to add support for OOo to its software. As an example, Dragon 9 added improved support for Firefox and Thunderbird, FF and TB did not add support for Dragon. I will not be voting for the issue you have created, since it is not possible, and makes the assumption that the failing is OOo's, which is not the case.

katherinekatz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all. Embarassed I didn't understand. Ignore the issue please.
marksgirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a new user; as far as Dragon goes, I now nothing about it except that my 80 yr old client (not at all computer savvy) wants to write a book (she would dictate it and I would type it). It has been suggested to me to use Dragon 9; I use Linux (Debian) and open office. I was told the other day by someone in Dragon, Customer support that it can only be used in Windows!! Is she crazy or am I?? I noticed that NUANCE is compatible with Dragon. Does anyone know anything about this please;

Also, this may not be the correct place for this question but I have no clue how Dragon works. Can anyone give me a clue please?

Marksgirl
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksgirl wrote:
I am also a new user; as far as Dragon goes, I now nothing about it except that my 80 yr old client (not at all computer savvy) wants to write a book (she would dictate it and I would type it). It has been suggested to me to use Dragon 9; I use Linux (Debian) and open office. I was told the other day by someone in Dragon, Customer support that it can only be used in Windows!! Is she crazy or am I?? I noticed that NUANCE is compatible with Dragon. Does anyone know anything about this please;

All I know is what can be found on the Nuance Website. It lists Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 as one of their products. The System Requirements page for Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 does not list Linux as a supported operating system.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksgirl wrote:

Also, this may not be the correct place for this question but I have no clue how Dragon works. Can anyone give me a clue please?

Marksgirl

NUANCE owns Dragon, and Dragon is very definitely Windows-only, although some have had a measure of success using it with WINE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: