OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Header / Rows to Repeat question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bretrooks
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Header / Rows to Repeat question Reply with quote

Here's my situation:

My office uses a standard "header" in our spreadsheets (not a real header per se, since it doesn't go in the header portion of the sheet) which typically repeats at the top of every page via the "Rows to Repeat" option in the Print Range dialog. It incorporates a .png logo and a variety of textual information, and it takes up 7 rows at the top of each sheet.

I have a spreadsheet with 20+ sheets which each print to 3 pages, and I would like to have the same header repeat at the top of each page. The trick is that I would like to have the header information in just one location, to keep file size down and make editing easier.

It would be simple if the "Rows to Repeat" option would let me choose a different sheet--I could enter something like, "Header.$1:$10" and be done with it--but that doesn't seem to work. I don't see a way to put this sort of mixed content in a header either.

Am I missing something? Should this be a feature request? Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Bret
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Header / Rows to Repeat question Reply with quote

Why not copy your "not a real header per se" into a real header, which should do what you want. The spreadsheet header seems to be divided into three regions, but it should be feasible.

If not sure how to, look at Page Preview. There look for Page. There look for Header and Edit that to suit.

David.
bretrooks
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for the ideas. I spent a little time trying the strategy you suggested, but there are a couple of difficulties:

1) The logo image used is a larger square .png which is scaled down in the document to maintain detail. Setting it as a background doesn't give this sort of control, and it looks like downsizing the original image would require the loss of too much detail. I'm not sure how the graphics-as-background option deals with image resolution, but it doesn't seem to be too flexible.

2) Text editing for headers seems pretty basic--I can't maintain alignment for the multiple text entries I need, especially since I don't think you can chance the text alignment for any of the header sections.

Any other tips or tricks?
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bretrooks wrote:

Sorry if I led you in the wrong direction re expectations forentering graphics and text as needed. The only tip I can think of is the old-fashioned one. Pre-print your pages with the heading you need, then set the margins appropriately to contain the printed spreadsheet information on those pages. If it works, it's good. If every other way is a hassle, then it's perfect.

Frankly, I have no idea why the header for a spreadsheet should be different than any other header.

David.
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bretrooks wrote:
The major resources hog will be the graphic. The additional size due to text elements should be trivial.

You could try linking to the image rather than embedding it (won't work if you have to send the file off to somewhere that cannot access the graphic file).

PS - Another thing comes to mind:
Put your header info in one sheet.
Select the rows/columns you want to repeat
Copy > Paste Special (select Link) to the other sheets
Set these linked rows to Repeat at Top
(Won't work for the graphic, but will make maintenance of the text simpler)

Edit:
Spelling
Added repeat linked rows.

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos

Last edited by Dale on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale wrote:

I may be wrong, Dale, but I think the header should be on every printed page, not every worksheet, and there can be more than one printed page per sheet.

David.
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Dale wrote:

I may be wrong, Dale, but I think the header should be on every printed page, not every worksheet, and there can be more than one printed page per sheet.
I was less than clear. What I should have said was to set the linked rows on each sheet to repeat at top.

I am assuming Bret wants this info on the top of each page of each sheet.

Thanks for catching that.

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
bretrooks
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system I've got going now is similar to the one you've described, although I didn't know about the Paste Special - Link option. That's would have sped things up a little...I'll have to remember that one.

I may copy the graphic into the project folder and change the images to be links, but we'll see if I get to it. For now, I can deal with what I've got.

Thanks for the advice,
Bret

P.S. And I agree...the different header paradigm is odd. It would make more sense to have one that is similar to Writer.
PJW9779

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar issue in Writer table.
Solved it there by using : right click image > Anchor > As Character.

Pity it does not work like that in Calc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: