OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Massive software crash...doc lost forever?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soccerman58
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Massive software crash...doc lost forever? Reply with quote

Hi Crew
Time to push the Blind Panic button

I've been working on updates for this doc for about a week.
I just tried to save and close the document as a .doc format for the latest Word version (XP) and I got a message popup that there was an input/output error and the file disappeared from the screen. I got a couple of green bars in the Exporting processing bar, then it just stopped. The program itself appeared to be still running; I did not get a Not Responding message in the title bar.

Despite the fact that I have autosave set every 30 minutes, the only copy of the file I can find in the project folder is almost a week old. It doesn't even seem to be a usable rebuilding copy, as on closer inspection it seems that all the text that was in Numbered format has disappeared, leaving just the white space. I can only assume it is totally corrupted.

On a prayer, does anyone know if there is some other place that the file might have been automatically saved, maybe in a temp folder, or maybe in some other format? Perhaps there is some way we can invoke auto recovery? It seems to do that very well.
At one of the stages of trying to save, I was prompted about saving or discarding changes. As I had previously tried the Saving option, this time I hit the Discard button figuring that all I would lose at most would be anything since the last autosave. Maybe not.

Here comes the nausea!

Thanks
Phil
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup (if there is any) should be in:

c:\documents and settings\[your username]\application data\openoffice.org2\user\backup

Windows 7 Home Premium and AOO 4.0.1 NL (Dutch)
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive software crash...doc lost forever? Reply with quote

soccerman58 wrote:

Despite the fact that I have autosave set every 30 minutes, the only copy of the file I can find in the project folder is almost a week old.

Sorry that this is after the horse has gone, but I've heard this tale for around thirty years off and on, so all I have is a suggestion for the future. I am writing a small text. I do not rely on autosave. I save it every minute or so, and then save it to another location at the end of each day's session. Tedious, but effective. Some, with much more important material, grandfather it ....three copies.

soccerman58 wrote:
I can only assume it is totally corrupted.

Try looking at it through a Hex editor if all else fails, for a possible return of text, either some or all, unformatted.

David.
[/u]
soccerman58
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Seems I'm screwed Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I found the backups folder. There was only one in it, and it was an old copy and quite useless.

It would seem that I have no .bak files as the Create Backup Always box was not checked either.

So, unless someone has enough genius to overcome my stupidity, I guess I have lost a week's work and all I can be is a sadder and wiser man and, as someone said, create multiple manual backups.

So, given that I had this blowup trying to create a Word .doc format, how would you advise I go about working with the rebuild given that my cretinous employer is insisting on being given a Word version? Should I create the new doc in a different format and only save the complete version as a .doc file?

Thanks
Phil
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Seems I'm screwed Reply with quote

soccerman58 wrote:
I found the backups folder. There was only one in it, and it was an old copy and quite useless.

You have not described the extent of the damage. Did the file disappear, or is it corrupted? You might try the following:

For text content, no formatting ...
1. Use the hex editor as I suggested.
2. Examine the content.xml file through a Zip utility if possible [rename the file first as a ZIP file.]
3. Make a copy available for download and perhaps one of the fine folk out there might come up with something.

David.
soccerman58
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: corruption Reply with quote

Hi

The file that remains is the original file that I started udating last week. None of the work I have done to it has been saved anywhere, and this file, apart from being a week old, appears to have chunks of it missing. I haven't looked at it that hard, but at least the Numbered1 formatted text is gone. That is really what I meant by corrupted. There were so many changes made that very little of this version of it made it to the lost version anyway.

I have the formats I need in another document, so I will just have to rebuild this one by cutting and pasting the text I need either from the Framamaker originals or the PDF. It's just time that I can't get back.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: