OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Writer hangs while opening some Word documents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoofyX
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Writer hangs while opening some Word documents Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a rather new user to Linux (with previous experience to Unix systems), using SuSE 9 Pro. This flavor of SuSE comes with OpenOffice.org 1.1 installed. Previously, I was using Windows XP with the Office XP suite. I had some personal documents in .doc format and I wanted to convert those to the native Writer .stw format. However, I have problems with some documents. When I open these in Writer, the word processor simply hangs, it consumes ~150-160MB of memory and uses up all the processor. Finally, I have to kill the process.

In the partition, I have installed the Windows version of OpenOffice. There, the problem does not exist. I could open all Word documents and convert them to the native Writer format. However, the same documents that would not be opened by Writer in Linux cannot be opened again (even if they are in the .stw format now).

Could anyone help with this strange situation? There must be a bug with the Linux version of OpenOffice.org...

Thanks.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I note you are dual-booting. Have you imported the Windows Fonts onto your Linux partition?

Ian
GoofyX
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The documents were written using the Tahoma font. I've imported Arial, Times New Roman, Courier New and Tahoma fonts in SuSE.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

I'm afraid it's a process of elimination. My experience of dual-booting has been that if it can be opened by OOo in Windows, it can also be opened in Linux. Firstly under tools\options\load\save have you got all MS Office conversion options checked?

Secondly does it happen with all Word documents or just some? If the latter, do they have anything in common eg complex formatting, Macros or graphics that might give an indication as to what is causing this.

Also, we cannot entirely rule out the possibility that the installation in Linux is less than perfect. Have you tried running repair via the setup option in the user installation file?

Ian
GoofyX
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm afraid it's a process of elimination. My experience of dual-booting has been that if it can be opened by OOo in Windows, it can also be opened in Linux. Firstly under tools\options\load\save have you got all MS Office conversion options checked?

I will have to check this when I get back home and inform you.

Quote:

Secondly does it happen with all Word documents or just some? If the latter, do they have anything in common eg complex formatting, Macros or graphics that might give an indication as to what is causing this.

Some documents, not all of them. There is nothing weird about them. These documents are of the same format exactly, the only difference if the content. There is a heading on top and plain text below, no tables, no images, no shapes of any kind. Plain text. The .rtf version of the same document looks exactly the same as the Word .doc.

Quote:

Also, we cannot entirely rule out the possibility that the installation in Linux is less than perfect. Have you tried running repair via the setup option in the user installation file?

I thought about it, maybe it is, maybe it's not. However, OpenOffice.org came pre-installed. Maybe reinstalling from rpm will solve this?

Thanks.
Geometra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the same problem running a WinXP since yesterday. Anyone has an answer? I'm loosing important information... Crying or Very sad
GoofyX
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no progress.

I looked at Options, for save/load Office documents and all are at their defaults. I didn't mess with them, so it must not be a problem about Options...

I sent a support request at SuSE and I'm waiting for a reply...

Thanks,
Vasilis
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really to do with your problem, but I'd just like to point out that .stw is the OOo template format, not the native document format. Maybe you could try saving your documents as .sxw from the Windows version. It probably won't help, but I just thought I should point out the mistake.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I wonder.

In the Windows version of OOo are you using the Windows open and save dialog boxes? I ask this because it is technically possible for documents to be saved in a format with the wrong file extension. It will happen if you say open a .doc file, and change its format to .sxw format, which is the correct one . It can end up simply replacing the original .doc file, but in OOo format and Word for example will never open it then. The openoffice open/save boxes do not make that mistake.

OOo in Windows will forgive an error like this, but I am just wondering whether the Linux version does not. Try converting a document in Windows with OOo open/save dialog (activate via tools\options\OOo\General.

Something silly has to be going on somewher as this should not be happening to you.

Ian
Geometra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian
this is not the problem in that case. I ensure about what you say.

I usually save by default in .doc format and not writing the file extension. I tried to open the problematic files with MS Word and it happed the same as OpenOffice, the program stand by while opening with any response...

This is not happening with all of .doc files, only with some of then.

At the end, I'm going to work with the native format sxw to avoid this problems. If someone want to research about that problem I can send you some files.

Thx, Tomás.
GoofyX
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, there has been some time from the last post, but I thought I should reply.

So, I installed SuSE in a partition in my first disk. After logging in for the first time, I opened Writer and tried to load those .stw documents that were converted from .doc through the Windows version of Writer. Guess what, Writer opened those documents with no problem. At my other Linux installation, Writer cannot open them, as I say in my previous posts. So, this has something to do with the OpenOffice.org installation. The only thing that's different between those two, is the Greek dictionary which I installed... Question

Anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: