OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Password Protect an Excel File.... how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyhill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Password Protect an Excel File.... how? Reply with quote

Hi, all

I am new in OOo

My computer is using OOo 2.0.1 and my business partner is still using Office....

So, I have to convert my OOo document to Excel format before I sent to them...

I have a question

Can I password protect my excel file when I using OOo? Becuase I saw the password protect checkbox was dimmed when I choose "Excel" as file extension.

If the answer is noway... any other way to protect my excel file?

Anybody help?

Thanks a lot!
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, OOo will not password protect an Excel file. There are 2 different forms of password protection on Excel files, dependant upon the version. Before Office 2003 Excel used unencrypted files which meant that password protection was pretty useless. OOo could read password protected Excel files without the user knowing the password as OOo could read right through the file. Excel 2003 uses encrypted files so password protection is hard to crack and as yet OOo has no work of handling them.

If you really must use an Excel file then you could put the file in a password protected ZIP file. They are encrypted so are as strong as the password you put on it. Alternatively, must you password protect a file that is being emailed? Surely the email account is password protected anyway, does that make the password protection redundant? Just a thought.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
bennyhill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

okay... thanks..

That's not a good news... but anyway your idea was good...
I'm okay with OOo but other office users will think : "What's up with your office program? Why you can't put a password on the file?"

Hope openoffice can make more better, if they want to compete with MS.

Thanks a lot and have a good day.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Password Protect an Excel File.... how? Reply with quote

bennyhill wrote:

If the answer is noway... any other way to protect my excel file?

If you want your partner to be able to edit it, then sure, save it as an XLS file or any other kind. Then encrypt it before sending, and only anyone knowing the password can open the encrypted file. There are several file encryption programs available for this purpose. If you want better than average security, phone him the password.

If you just want him to see it, but not edit, then send as a PDF file ...which you can also encrypt, or otherwise protect.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: