OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

WISH: Insert page number

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianfay
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: WISH: Insert page number Reply with quote

I use OO.o and have set up a template that includes page numbers on the bottom of every page but page one. A student of mine wanted the same set up the other day and I showed her how to do it.

"Geez," she said. "What a pain. In Word I just click, insert page numbers and uncheck the box that says show page number on first page."

Seems like this is a feature that has to be addressed. How OO.o got to 2.0 without this, well, I'm not sure.

Still love using a free office suite, but that's one big issue that keeps bugging me.
9point9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can!

Insert > Fields > Other, on the document tab select Page > Page Numbers > [style you want], then enter in the offset as -1.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9 wrote:
enter in the offset as -1.

Well, I would not advise the use of page numbering offset because the TOC will be wrong afterwards. The TOC doesn't take into account the offset.

You must use a different page style. I know, it's different from MS Word but why all softs should take MS as the only way of living ???

If you want a page numbering to be modified (same result as 9point9 proposal), it can be done when inserting a manual page break. Then, the TOC will give the right page numbers.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: WISH: Insert page number Reply with quote

brianfay wrote:
I use OO.o and have set up a template that includes page numbers on the bottom of every page but page one. A student of mine wanted the same set up the other day and I showed her how to do it.

"Geez," she said. "What a pain. In Word I just click, insert page numbers and uncheck the box that says show page number on first page."

Seems like this is a feature that has to be addressed. How OO.o got to 2.0 without this, well, I'm not sure.

Still love using a free office suite, but that's one big issue that keeps bugging me.

It is only a big issue because you are still thinking in MS Word terms. You/she need to approach this from an OOo direction by using Styles. OOo Writer is very Styles oriented. She, and probably you, should look into creating the styles that you need and then creating a template.

This saves immense amounts of time and effort over time
Have a look at Writer Guide chapters, Introduction to Styles & Working with Styles in Writer
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: WISH: Insert page number Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
It is only a big issue because you are still thinking in MS Word terms. You/she need to approach this from an OOo direction by using Styles. OOo Writer is very Styles oriented. She, and probably you, should look into creating the styles that you need and then creating a template.

I consider this to be a usability issue, not a styles issue. There is an option to have different headers and footers on left and right pages without creating separate left and right page styles, so why shouldn't there be an option to suppress the page number on the first page without having to create a new page style?

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=26726
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: