OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Hassle with desktop links to OpenOffice 1.1 files with Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Read

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Hassle with desktop links to OpenOffice 1.1 files with Linux Reply with quote

Hope someone out there can help.
I did a clean install of Red Hat Linux 9.0 without OpenOffice. I then downloaded OpenOffice 1.1 from the OpenOffice site and installed it. Works well. Just one problem that's driving me crazy. I find it convenient to create shortcuts (links) on my GNOME desktop to certain OpenOffice data files I use frequently. They open up in OpenOffice just fine, but if I make any changes and attempt to save my work I get the message "Could not create backup copy". It's really puzzling since I specified in Open Office's settings that I did not wish backup copies to be made. Perhaps it's some kind of permissions problem?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Regards, John R
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it sounds like a permissions problem. Are you only seeing this problem when you open the file via the link? When you open the file from within OOo, does the problem not appear? If you only see the problem via the links, check the owner/permissions of the directory containing the links and make sure you have write access to that directory.
John Read

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your message.
Yes, I'm only having this problem when I use the link to open the Open Office document.
Have checked the permissions for the directory containing the links and I have full permissions including write permission.
I wondered if you or someone could create a (symbolic) link to one of their OpenOffice data files, open the file using the link, make a small alteration and see if they can then save the changes without an error message appearing. I really would like to know if the problem is with Open Office 1.1, with Red Hat Linux 9.0 or just something in my particular setup. TIA
Regards, John R.
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've setup links before and haven't had the problem you're seeing. I'm assuming you're setting up a standard symbolic link to the file? I suspect that the root of the problem lies in the 'backup copy' that OOo is trying to create. What user owns the OOo process and does that user also have appropriate permissions in the relevant directories?
kalle

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: same problem with oo 1.1.1, open doc by link does not save Reply with quote

really wondering why this still happens when its known problem.
as i installed a fresh oo 1.1.1 i cant open any doc over links. only by searching the source in the deep of my filesys. .... saving everything, i switched all userpersmissions to ugo+rw and +x for directories also, shit happens, nothing is better now. thi sis still shitty, i remember old times, everything was working well Sad( please , mr developers, test your softwarebefore thoring it through the internet. killall -9 soffice.bin! 1.1.1 hangs up while saving preferences sometim es, really not a good thing Sad bowh
Valentijn Sessink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Known problem, issue #17061 Reply with quote

This is a known problem, http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=17061
targeted milestone is OpenOffice.org 2.0
valentijn sessink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: targeted milestone 2.0, issue #17061 Reply with quote

Targeted milestone is 2.0, see http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=17061
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: