OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Specifying the center of a shape as a gluepoint.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnj
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Specifying the center of a shape as a gluepoint. Reply with quote

Hello,

How can one specify the center of a shape as a gluepoint for connectors? I have two circles which are linked by a straight-line connector. The two circles, however, are neither on the same line nor on the same column. Thus, using the gluepoints that are on the top, bottom or sides of the circles looks a bit odd. I would like the gluepoint to be in the center of the circle.

I have tried to manually add a gluepoint using the menu "Edit -> Gluepoints". However, there are two issues with this method:
    It is difficult, by hand to point exactly the middle of a circle. Thus, the gluepoint may not be exactly at the right position.
    The connector, when drawn, instead of appearing behind the circles, appears in front of them. This does not look nice. Sure, I could probably arrange that with layers, but I am sure there is an easier method.

Any good suggestion? Thank you.
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right: this is a lot more trouble that it could be.

I had no real problem adding a gluepoint to the center of a circle. I just eyeballed it and it seems "close enough" to me. I started with a comfortably large circle, then scaled that to a smaller size. If you really want to nail it, you can bring in two guides and position the circle at the intersection. When you go to place the glue point, the cursor should snap to the intersection as well and thus will be at the exact center of the circle.

If you want the line behind the circle, I think you have to make a group, with the circle having the center glue point in the back. Unfortunately, once you group them, the glue points of the sub-objects are not accessible, so you have to group & un-group every time you want to change a connection. You can move them normally while they're grouped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: