OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Bulk outline level change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minchina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Bulk outline level change Reply with quote

I am trying to take a chunk of outline and move it all one level down without losing the relative spacing. Basically, I am pasting together a larger outline from a number of smaller ones. I like the way that the parts of the outline relate to each other, but I need to move them in or out a few levels in order to make sense in the organizational scheme of the new outline. For example:

Old
I. Fat
1. Old
a. Man

New

1. Fat
a. Old
i. Man

I am pretty sure that in word I used to be able to do this by simply highlighting the entire block of the outline and just hitting the tab key. In OO it just erases everything and replaces it with a tab. Is there any way to do this, or do I have to continue moving every line manually?

Thanks
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bulk outline level change Reply with quote

minchina wrote:
I am trying to take a chunk of outline and move it all one level down without losing the relative spacing. Basically, I am pasting together a larger outline from a number of smaller ones. I like the way that the parts of the outline relate to each other, but I need to move them in or out a few levels in order to make sense in the organizational scheme of the new outline. For example:

Old
I. Fat
1. Old
a. Man

New

1. Fat
a. Old
i. Man

I am pretty sure that in word I used to be able to do this by simply highlighting the entire block of the outline and just hitting the tab key. In OO it just erases everything and replaces it with a tab. Is there any way to do this, or do I have to continue moving every line manually?

Thanks

If you are using heading styles you can do this in the Navigator. Open Heading and look at the top right corner of the Navigator window for the tools.
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you showed us an outline, I'm going to assume you may be using an outline list, rather than the heading styles as jrkrideau already referred to.

View > Toolbars > Bullets & Numbering

Now, when your cursor is in an outline list, you should see a floating toolbar. This toolbar has several arrow icons on it that move parts of the ouline around. Check the tool tips; play around. They work a little differently depending on whether you have part of the outline selected, vs. just affecting the item with the cursor when there is no selection. I think you can do what you want.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also change the heading level for either Heading1-10 or an outline done with the numbering icon by placing the cursor at the beginning of the heading and using Tab or Shift+Tab.
minchina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks acknak, that did the trick. I have one followup question - can I add new shortcut key combinations? I would love to map the 'move down with subpoints' option onto the shift+TAB key combination, but it is not one of the options in the customize shortcut keys menu (shift+just about everything else is). Is there a way to put shift+tab onto the list, or am I stuck with the options presented?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: