OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Picture compression - changing file type

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
besik33
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Picture compression - changing file type Reply with quote

My presentation in Impress have about 50mb - because i use copy, paste function and the OO this pictures in bmp.
So i manualy reload pictures from the jpg files and the presentation becomes about 25mb.

Next day I take some minor adjustment on pictures (changing position, changing of showed size and etc) After this the OO change file type from jpg to png.
So my presentation become about 50mb again.

Is some way to block changing of file type? When i resave pictures in jpg they have about 12megs. So why this?

I have no interest in recompression........

thx

PS: 1 picture is in format wmf. In resolution 800*130 takes 4 megs. What a crazy. According to what is OO chooing file types? I input all pictures through insert-picture-file(jpg)
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What format are you saving your presentation in? If using anything other than *.odp then save as *.opd and see if the same happens.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very surprised to learn that according to your experiences, OOo would change the way the graphics are internally stored. In my experience, an imported jpg remains a jpg, a png remains a png. Are you sure the file type changed? How do you know that? The way to make sure is to unzip the document and look at the resulting picture folder (OOo documents in fact are zip archives).
besik33
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant figure out how the file types get changed.
I make experiment presentation and try different operations in openoffice with images and filetypes are not changing.

When I was creating my presentation, I used copy and paste function. After some time I realize that the images are saved in png format and presentation tooks about 50mbs. So I use insert-image-file and substitue all image from png to jpg.The presentation than tooks about 25mb.

I continue working on the presentation and after some time I notice that the presentation is about 50mbs again. I dont know how the file types get changed.

The filetypes i'm chcecking by unzipping the ods.

Can U help me how to change filetypes back to jpg to get my presentation smaller?
I dont want re-insert all pictures again.

I see only two options.
When in the openofice will be option to save all graphics in jpg and to choose quality.
But i cant find this option, so i try recompress it under office 2000 and i get bigger file ;(

OR

decompressing ODS andl re-saving all pictures to jpp.
But i dont know where to change old file names for the new ones in ods.
besik33
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - i have find the solution for me

1- recompressing odp
2- in folder "Pictures" conversion of the pictures(png) to the *.jpg
3- then edit-replace in the files content.xml , styles.xml from original format (.png ) to the .jpg
4- compression to odp

and everything is fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: