OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Filled triangle - howto?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John_Hall
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Filled triangle - howto? Reply with quote

I'm trying to create some drawing objects, which will be used in drawing simple plumbing schematics for a friend.
One object looks like a letter X with lines across the top and bottom, with the resulting triangles filled. So I created the outline with two diagonals and the top and bottom lines, snapped to the grid, then grouped them, and gave the object a name.

But I can't find a way to fill the triangles. Is this possible, and how? Or is there another way to create an object consisting of two filled triangles. Having got that, I need to add some additional stuff for other objects, but don't anticipate problems with that.
TIA
anvilsoup
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of Grouping them, try Combining them.
If that fails, then create two filled polygons. Search help for how to do this.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to deal with the object you currently have but experiment with the filled polygon tool to draw a new one. You will find it by long clicking the Curve icon which is just above the Lines and Arrows icon you have probably been using.

This is a great tool once you learn to use it. Here's my explanation. Click, hold, drag and release for the first line. Don't click, just move to the end point of the next line and then click. At this point you can draw another line with move and click or just double click and a triangle will be completed for you.

To fairly quickly draw the whole thing, draw a diagonal down, a line across, a diagonal up and double click to complete. Now click the Edit Points icon at the top of the left hand menu and make adjustment by dragging these.
John_Hall
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I had somehow missed seeing the filled polygon - it works well.
I didn't get anything immediately useful from Combine though.
DannyB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bug with combine. If the last line of the polygon is a true horizontal line, then combine flakes out. I have reported the bug early last summer 2003.

I have had this problem with polygons produced by Danny's Draw Power Tools, and with my Random Christmas Tree Generator (at OOoMacros.org). The solution in the case of the Christmas trees was to simply make the horizontal line of a polygon not be the very last line, such as the base of the tree shape.

BTW, Danny's Draw Power Tools can easily, even trivially produce regular polygons, such as triangles. Get it from http://OOoMacros.org

Now that I think of it, I should fix the next generation of Danny's Draw Power Tools such that it works around the combine bug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: