OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Connecting to an .odb database from a java program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsh15926
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Connecting to an .odb database from a java program. Reply with quote

I wish to write a java program that will need to read an .odb database. Now I know that similar questions have already been posed before, but none of the answers helped (at all!). I'm looking for a step by step guide as to how to set up the connection. I have Open Office v2.0.2 running under Windows XP professional. A tutorial with lots of code and configuration examples would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Bernard.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting to an .odb database from a java program. Reply with quote

bsh15926 wrote:
I wish to write a java program that will need to read an .odb database. Now I know that similar questions have already been posed before, but none of the answers helped (at all!).

Two questions:
- Which post lets you guess, that someone has already achieved it at all? All I saw have been several questions about which connection string should be used. But none of that questions has been answered. Or did I miss one?
- Why do you need to read an .odb database at all? If I had a similar task, I would try this approach:
a) Create an OOo Base database which stores the data in a MySQL database. So OOo Base would be used as front end and MySQL as the back end.
b) Create all my forms with OOo Base.
c) Access the database with Java directly via a MySQL database driver.
What's the problem of this approach?

Regards
hol.sten
bsh15926
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had assumed that what I was proposing to do was possible. Bear in mind that I've only had OOo for a few weeks and have only investigated Base for the first time this weekend. Your suggested approach seems eminently sensible, and though I don't have MySQL it is something I've been toying with installing and learning about.

Then again, I might just take the low-tech approach, dump the entire table to a csv file (something I've already worked out how to do) and read that using a StreamTokenizer!

Thanks for the advice.

Bernard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: