OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Dictionary Won't Add Words

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billtb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Dictionary Won't Add Words Reply with quote

I've been dealing with this issue for a couple of months now and haven't found a fix. When I "add" a mispelled word to the dictionary, the next time I open OOWriter, the words are gone and I get the dreaded red squigglies. I've tried adding the words to different dictionaries and even created my own dictionary, but after it took the first two words when I created it, it has not accepted the words I've added since.

Help!

Thanks in advance.
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: OOo 2 - How to start again with a new personal dictionary Reply with quote

OpenOffice.org 2 - How to start again with a new personal dictionary

With the default settings, when you right-click a word marked with a squiggly line, one of the options is Add > standard.dic

By default, your personalized dictionary entries are stored in

path-to-openoffice.org-user-directory/user/wordbook/standard.dic

You can find the path to the openoffice.org user directory with Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Paths, and looking at the Autocorrect path up to the "user" directory. If you are using Windows XP, this file should be under the C:\Documents and Settings directory, not the C:\Program Files directory. If you are using Linux, it should be under your home directory, not the /opt directory

Perhaps this file has become corrupted or has been marked "read-only." You could try renaming it standard.dic.old and see what happens when you try to enter new personalized dictionary entries.
billtb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Missing Paths Reply with quote

This is probably the problem, then. The paths list only has Backup, Gallery, Graphics, My Documents, and Temporary Files. It doesn't have anything for Spelling, Autocorrect, or anything else.

How do I get them added?

(I'm using XP Home)
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrade to 2.0.4 where some of the common paths have been restored. But none is related to the dictionary. And I don't think it should have any influence.

You're not the first one to have this issue and it's rather strange. Do you know how many words are stored in your standard.dic ?
billtb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Paths Reply with quote

No idea how many words are in it. I clicked edit and it was totally blank. I assume that indicates I've not added words to it (I'm adding to my own dictionary).

I will upgrade to see if that helps. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue.

thanks

bill t-b
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small question : the langage for your dictionary is [All] or not ? You can see it when you edit the dictionary through the menu Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids.
billtb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Language settings Reply with quote

The language setting is English (USA)
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then try to set it to All. If the language in your text is different from the language set in your dictionary, it won't check the words recorded in your dictionary.

But in this case, you should not be able to add a word in a dictionary that has a different language. So I'm not sure it will help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: