OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Audio file and projector help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katybug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Audio file and projector help Reply with quote

I'm a novice working with Impress. Can not find what type of audio files Impress uses; mp3 or wav. Also, what type of projector and projector conncetion is needed?
Other than those two snags my presentation is ready.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
james_h
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support varies depending on your operating environment and whether or not you have installed Java and , if you are using Linux, the Java Media Framework. On Linux, I successfully installed Java and the Java Media Framework. I have posted the instructions here. I can now embed both .wav and .mp3 sounds to play when a slide shows using Insert > Movie and Sound... .

The following media types are listed in the File dialog:
    AIF Audio
    AU Audio
    AVI
    CD Audio
    MIDI Audio
    MPEG Audio
    MPEG Video
    Quicktime Video
    Vivio Video

After inserting the audio, resize it and reposition it to so that you can't easily see it. Otherwise, it will appear as a black area.
Quote:
Also, what type of projector and projector conncetion is needed?
Most projectors plug into the video output plug. On a desktop computer, you usually need to unplug the regular monitor. On a portable computer, you might need to look at the manual to figure out how to switch the output from the on-board monitor to the external monitor plug, which is usually located under the hinges on the back of the computer.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_h wrote:
The following media types are listed in the File dialog:[list]AIF Audio

According to the specification, the dialog is not an authoritative source of information: "Since it is not possible for every backend to query for all available formats, a predefined set of common media filters is used, which has the side effect, that not necessarily all filters are supported on every system."

For Linux users, here are a list of formats supported by JMF. (However, the JMF has to be installed properly.) For Windows users, OpenOffice.org should play whatever Microsoft's DirectShow supports (which varies depending on setup).

In all cases (still assuming the JMF is setup properly if necessary), OpenOffice.org should play either .wav or .mp3.
katybug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Audio question answered, however (?) Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Now it's a snap adding audio clips to slides. What program plays audio files for your slide presentation? I'm trying to use an external audio box.

I want to be able to play audio through larger powered external speakers rather than my laptop's smaller ones. (large crowd presentation using a projector).

I've tried using my external USB audio capture box (Edirol UA25) but can't seem to route
the slide audio through it. The slide audio still plays through the laptop speakers. Am I
missing some settings somewhere?
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Audio question answered, however (?) Reply with quote

katybug wrote:
What program plays audio files for your slide presentation?

OpenOffice.org itself?

Quote:
I want to be able to play audio through larger powered external speakers rather than my laptop's smaller ones. (large crowd presentation using a projector).

Just connect your laptop's 1/8 inch headphones jack to the external speakers.

Quote:
USB audio capture box

Audio capture (putting sound into your laptop from a microphone) seems like the opposite of what you want (putting sound from your laptop into external speakers).
katybug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Audio Problem Solved Reply with quote

FWIW, I poked around in the control panel. Reassigned audio to go through the external sound card. Now all the audio clips for the slide-show go through the external speakers (KRK Rokit 5's). All slides are synced to audio clips. The sound is incredible. This will be an awsome presentation for about 100 attendees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: