OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Auto Number Counting in OOo Writer...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkronk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Auto Number Counting in OOo Writer... Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am trying to get a template to auto number. For example, I have a quotation template done up and one of the sections (table cell) has a quote number in it. It currently is set to 0532. I want this number to count up (0533 for next quote, 0534 for the next one and so on...) every time I do up a new quote for someone. Is this possible and how?

I have tried over and over and thus far am only changing it manually (deleting the last digit and enter the new one). is it possible to do something like this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. Very Happy
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a field: menu Insert>Fields>Others (or CTRL + F2), Variables tab and select the Number range type. Give it a name in the field at the bottom and a value for the first entry. Check that the numbering format is the right one and then click on Insert.

To add new numbers, you can leave the dialog open. Clear the Value field, place your cursor in the new location and click on Insert. It will increment by 1 from the previous entry.

But I didn't managed to get the zero displayed. Either someone will have a better idea or you add manualy the zero before inserting the field.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Number Counting in OOo Writer... Reply with quote

kingkronk wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to get a template to auto number. For example, I have a quotation template done up and one of the sections (table cell) has a quote number in it. It currently is set to 0532. I want this number to count up (0533 for next quote, 0534 for the next one and so on...) every time I do up a new quote for someone. Is this possible and how?

I have tried over and over and thus far am only changing it manually (deleting the last digit and enter the new one). is it possible to do something like this.

What I've done in both Word and Writer is simply apply a numbered paragraph style to the number column, and just not type any text there. Tabbing to create a new row, or inserting a row, numbers it correctly. But I don't know whether the numbering can accept a leading zero. I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment, but if needed, I can look into it a little more thoroughly later.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxcole wrote:
... simply apply a numbered paragraph style to the number column, and just not type any text there.

There is unfortunately no option to apply a number format to the list numbers, so I don't think this will work.

Hagar wrote:
You can use a field: menu Insert>Fields>Others (or CTRL + F2), Variables tab and select the Number range type. Give it a name in the field at the bottom and a value for the first entry. Check that the numbering format is the right one and then click on Insert.

If you use a regular variable (instead of a Number range), then you can apply a much more flexible level of number formatting. Just enter an expression in the "Value" field. If your variable is named "QNum", then enter "QNum+1" in the "Value" field and it will auto-increment each time you insert it.

In the "Number Format" list, click "Additional formats...", then you can change the "Leading zeroes." E.g. if you set the "Leading zeroes" to 4, then 5 will be shown as "0005", and 534 will be displayed as "0534".

If you care about the numbers, i.e. if you want the number for a particular quotation to never change, then you may not want to use a dynamic method like this. It's too easy to add or delete something and cause all the following numbers to shift.

Also, you might want to think about doing this in a database. That would give you auto-incrementing numbers, and it's really easy to pop up a database, locate a specific quotation and then drag it into a document.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, thanks acknak ! I'd not tried this (by the way, in case you search - like me - the regular variable, the exact name is Set variable).
kingkronk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys! I'll try those options you gave.

The reason I would like this is sometimes I forget to change the quote number at the top and two clients get the same number... so automating it for me would eliminate this little problem.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: