OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

I can't see my spaces!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elementcontroller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: I can't see my spaces! Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I'm not sure how this happens, but I can't see my spaces. When I hit the space bar, the cursor doesn't move until I type a character. Is there any way to fix this?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this very issue on the French forum but there was no fix. The problem occured after users (children actually) did something but the author of the thread never found what pulled the trigger ! is it a key combination or an option in the settings ???

Can you remember any particular operation before it occured ?
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the spacebar is working in other contexts, the most likely cause of the problem in OpenOffice is something in your "user" folder. To confirm that, rename the folder after exiting OpenOffice completely (i.e. including the Quickstarter). A new folder will be created when you re-start the software.
Elementcontroller

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that. I've also reinstalled the entire suite. The problem still remains. I didn't change anything in the settings the first time I opened the writer. The only thing I think may be causing it is the fact that I am using Writer to open a word document, though I've never had this problem in the past. I can open a new document without the problem. On the flip side, I can open an entirely new document, then paste the text from the other document, and the problem reappears. Confused
acknak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the flip side, I can open an entirely new document, then paste the text from the other document, and the problem reappears.

I don't understand this: are you saying that prior to this paste, there was no problem in the other document?

Do you by any chance have "Ignore double spaces" checked in Tools > Autocorrect > Options? If so, that will allow you to type one space, but no more.

OOo also behaves strangely if you have justification turned on (makes all text lines the same length--aligned left and right): you can type spaces, and they are entered, but they don't display on the screen.
Biill
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar problems when copying and Paste form web pages.

Sounds like you may have invisable control-Character embeded with in the text.

Try to copy justy one line at a time, they when your problem happends you found the offending line. (with that last line, delete all spaces untill problem goes away.)

Also, Try copy and paste to NotePad (text editor) then Copy and paste from NotePad to your document. (this should strip out all control characters)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: