OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Forms Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsurles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Forms Question Reply with quote

I have been searching and trying this stuff all night.. and it's almost not worth it anymore. Smile

Basically I have 2 large spreadsheets. I utilize both of these spreadsheets quite frequently, but I have to go back and forth between them. Additionally, I don't like having multiple copies of these out as they have sensitive data, and if anyone else who is supposed to look at them, doesn't get the latest version, well then they just don't have all the data they need. I figured while doing a good ol' ctrl-f, saving read-only versions, etc works, it might be easier to import these into a database, and create a form to look at the data with.

Well I've imported them into base under 1 database as 2 separate tables. I've linked these tables together via a common field. I have created queries in sql view, and even with the wizard thing.. and have gotten the information I'm looking for.

Now the big challenge is turning this into a user friendly looking form.. So imagine if you will, a form looking similar to:

COMPANY [ ]
L Name [ ]
CKTID [ ]
ADDRESS [ ]
CITY [ ]
STATE [ ]
ZIP [ ]

[Imagine a table here with all those fields in it]

Okay, I'd like to be able to type in any one of those fields, and somehow execute a query based on the information in that field (or fields if multiple entries made), and the results to show up in the table below. Another thing that would be nice is that if you selected a row in the table, it would populate in the fields in the part above the table just to make it a little easier to read.

Now the only way I've been able to get a form to work is if I premake the query, but then no one is able to change it without having some kind of sql commands and such.. I don't want to make that assumption. heh.

If anyone can let me know if this is even possible.. I'd appreciate it. And if it is, if you can point me in a direction that could get me started, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jim

PS. Oh, I'm using office 2.0.4 on an XP platform.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: