OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Commandline PDF Conversion with openoffice 2 problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbybartlett

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Commandline PDF Conversion with openoffice 2 problem Reply with quote

Hi All,

We have recently been attempting to do PDF conversion on the command line using openoffice 2 and ubuntu linux.

The method we are attempting to use is to register a pdf printer, and then from the command line do soffice -pt pdfprinter infile.sxw

This works beatifully if we only do one file at a time, but as the system is doing on the fly conversions for a web based application, its entirely likely that we will have multiple attempts happening at once. In this scenario, the first document that we attempt to convert will never complete, but any that are started while the first one is processing will finish successfully (and from this point you can start as many at once as you like and they will complete properly, as long as the first file is locked up attempting to convert still)

If anyone has run into this problem in the past or can suggest a different way to do this, it would be greatly appreciated. We have attempted to use PyUNO to do this conversion, but there appears to be a problem with most of the code we have tried and OpenOffice 2 (errors around storeToURL)

Cheers
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Commandline PDF Conversion with openoffice 2 problem Reply with quote

robbybartlett wrote:
The method we are attempting to use is to register a pdf printer, and then from the command line do soffice -pt pdfprinter infile.sxw

This works beatifully if we only do one file at a time, but as the system is doing on the fly conversions for a web based application, its entirely likely that we will have multiple attempts happening at once.

Problems with multiple parallel conversions have been reported more than once in this forum. I experienced them myself, too. To solve this problem you have to serialize the pdf conversion by using or implementing a queueing mechanism. I did that myself in Java. Works great and the PDF conversion is done much more reliable.

Regards
hol.sten
bikram
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Solution here Reply with quote

HI

U can have a look here as i have achieved this by installing cups-pdf printer

and from WEB Based front end from windows tooooo...

all the steps are explained

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=11890

Thanx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: