OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Help with saving .doc formats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Help with saving .doc formats Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently downloaded the OpenOffice program and created a "recipe" which includes a header (which contains a graphic plus text) and a footer. When I saved it I choose .doc. But, when closing my document I receive an error message: Saving in external formats may have cause information loss. Do you want to close? Yes or No

What does this mean?

And, in addition...I received another error message when I used the "save as" feature and created another document from the original...it said something to the effect of....attributes may be lost?

Please help, I am just starting to use this program...I provide a menu service to my customers and I want to use this program to create them. My clients are using MS Word, so I need to save my documents in the .doc format in order for them to be able to open them. I tried the .txt but my graphics would not appear, so that is not an option.

Thanks so much to whoever can provide some help with this issue.

Betsy Sad
Betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the other error message I am receiving: This document may contain attributes and information that cannot be saved under MS Word 97/2000/XP. Do you want to save your changes using OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document format? Yes No Cancel

I am choosing to save them under MS Word 97/2000/XP .doc....I feel this is the only real compatible option for my clients.

I am worried that I am going to create several documents, and then users with MS Word won't be able to read them? I don't understand what they mean by attributes can't be saved? What attributes are they referring to?

I am typing reicpes, and noticed that when I type in a measurement it will automatically change is to a smaller size...such as using 1/2, 1/4, etc. I figure those will just appear larger or smaller depending on my clients program, but...the text should remain the same, correct? Other than the measurements, I am just typing straight text using the numbering for paragraphs.

Should I continue to create my recipes with this program and ignore the error messages, or should I just stop using the OpenOffice program all together?

Thanks, Betsy
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betsy,

Do you have M$ Office installed? If so you can open your own documents and see if they look as you would expect. If not, I think there's a free M$ Viewer for reading .doc format (but not being able to change them) that way you could check your files too. Not sure where you get it from but I'll have a look later if you want it - or someone else may tell us Very Happy

I think the key word in the error message is "may contain attributes..." as they are different programs you could put formats / attributes into a document in OOo that M$ Word couldn't cope with (and vice versa). However, if you are only formatting your Recipes with attributes you know exist in M$ Word then you should be OK.

I think the "prompt" is there for 2 reasons
1. to warn you not to try to save mega complicated OOo specific features into a M$ file format
2. to remind you that saving into OOo format is the *better* option Wink

I save into M$ formats without any problems most of the time.

HTH
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Word Viewer can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9BBB9E60-E4F3-436D-A5A7-DA0E5431E5C1&displaylang=EN
It's about 3.8MB in size

If your clients don't need to edit the documents you're sending, I'd recommend saving the original in OOo format (so that you can later edit it if neccessary) and export to PDF to send to your clients. Almost everyone has a PDF viewer, and many people think PDF's look more professional.

Russ
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Russ. Unless your clients need to edit the documents, then exporting to pdf is the one that is likely to produce the best results for you.

The warnings you are getting are not telling you that the document won't look right in MS Word, but it is telling you it might not do so. My experience is that there are subtle changes between Word 97 and 2000 that might make things look different anyway. If you don't want the warning to appear you can get rid of it by choosing tools\options\openoffice\load &save\general and change the default for text documents to MS Word. You will get a warning message asking whether you really want to do it, but you won't be nagged thereafter.

Seems to me that you won't want people editing these documents so I would work in OOo format and export to pdf.

Ian

Last edited by The Liquidator on Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDF was, of course, my next suggestion Wink

Just responding to the question, that's all Very Happy
Betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies! Very Happy

I have been sending a sample to a friend to check if it works or not, thank you for the link to the viewer, I will definately check into that...so I can view them myself!

They will only be viewing the files...no editing at all.

I am not familiar with using the PDF option as I have never done so. Does it allow my graphics to be viewed as intended? I am only using one graphic and it is my business logo in the header.

Currently, I create the files then put then in a folder and WinZip the file then email to my clients. How would I send it to my clients using PDF? Do they have to have a program to view PDF? Sorry, for so many questions...just have never used PDF and don't know anything about it.

Thanks again, ...for such quick replies and great suggestions! Betsy
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betsy,

The PDF button on the toolbar makes them really easy to create, and yes, your graphics should be included without any problems.

You shouldn't have to Zip the files, as most email clients will allow PDFs, although you could of course handle the files exactly the same as your MS Word files and zip them up before sending if you wish.

Yes they need a program to view PDF, (Adobe Reader) but it's one of the most popular programs around, you may already have it as it's often automatically installed with programs.

If you don't have it you can download it from here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pdf should work great with graphics.

You create (and save) your document in OOo format for future editing. Then, with it still open you can either hit the pdf export button in the toollbar(or file\export\as pdf). Alternatively you can use file\send\document as pdf attachment and (so long as OOo has been set to use your default e-mail client) you will get a blank e-mail which is ready for typing with the document already attached.

I would try the file\export function first just to make sure your document exports properly.

Ian
Betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Attention Avantman42... Reply with quote

Do you think MAC computer users can download the MS Word Viewer to view my MS Word .doc documents?

Just wondering...if this will work, I can offer this link as an option to those who have MAC's.

Thanks for your help.

Betsy
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Attention Avantman42... Reply with quote

Betsy wrote:
Do you think MAC computer users can download the MS Word Viewer to view my MS Word .doc documents?

Just wondering...if this will work, I can offer this link as an option to those who have MAC's.

No, the one that I gave a link for only works on Windows. I had a look for a Word Viewer for the Mac, but failed to find one. If the files you send out are not going to be edited by the recipients, I'd strongly recommend that you export them to PDF and send them out like that. The Adobe Acrobat Viewer is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, and several other operating systems. If you don't already have it, you can get it from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Russ
Betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon...my reluctance about using PDF. It's because I am not familiar with it, and I am trying not to make too many changes with my service. I just started my business in October [url]CarterCafe.com [/url]and find making too many changes with new subscribers...makes them anxious. And, once they get used to one way...they sometimes prefer the old to the new regardless if it's better...just because they became comfortable with it.

I don't have any subscribers that use MAC...but was trying to curtail any obsticales in the future for those who might.

Thank you so much for your help...this forum has been a wonderful resource. Betsy
Betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh..oh!

My default has now switched from OOo to the Word Viewer? Do you know how I can change the default back to OOo?

Thanks, Betsy

P.S. I opened my document in the the Viewer and in Word Pad and noticed that my "header" and my "footer" are missing? Guess...I'm off to play around with PDF!
Betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope ya don't mind...I have another PDF question?

I saved my documents as .pdf, then went into Outlook Express and mailed them to myself to test them. They worked...but, I have a question?

I attached them as separate files. I would prefer my clients only have to open (1) file, and have them all appear consecutively. How would I go about that? Is there an option in OOo that will allow me to say...merge the files without really merging them?

My "Weekly Menu's" contain 18 separate documents. I would like for my clients to be able to open (1) document and then have it contain all of the 18 documents, then have them choose print, and have it print them from 1-18...is this possible?

Thanks (sorry for so many questions), Betsy
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betsy wrote:
My default has now switched from OOo to the Word Viewer? Do you know how I can change the default back to OOo?

1. In Windows Explorer, find a Word (.doc) file and select it
2. Hold down the shift key, and right-click on the file
3. From the menu that appears, select Open with...
4. A dialogue box will appear, asking you which program should be used to open the file
5. Scroll down and select soffice
6. Check the box marked [b]Always use this program to open this type of file
7. Click OK

The file will be opened in OOo Writer, and in future, if you double-click on a .doc file, it will open in OOo Writer.

Betsy wrote:
P.S. I opened my document in the the Viewer and in Word Pad and noticed that my "header" and my "footer" are missing? Guess...I'm off to play around with PDF!

I'm not sure if this is a problem with OOo's export feature, or limitations in WordPad & the Word Viewer Confused Either way, it does illustrate the problems in exporting to foreign formats.

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: