OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Solved] Page numbers in Table of Contents not correct

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanDavidson
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: [Solved] Page numbers in Table of Contents not correct Reply with quote

I've just met an old friend from M$ W--d, version 6.0. Page numbers in the TOC don't match the actual page numbers.

The problem could be related to the fact that I am using roman numerals for front matter, and arabic numerals for the chapters. This forces chapter 1, page 1 to be a right-hand page. I have allowed the first pages of subsequent chapters to be left or right.

The final page of chapter 1 is "11", on a right page. The first page of chapter 2 is "12", on a left page.

I notice that the TOC is correct up to, and including page 11. However, chapter 2 is shown in the TOC as page 13.

I have verified that the TOC actually is updating. I do this by changing the text of some headings and verifying that the corresponding text in the TOC also changes.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by AlanDavidson on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you change the page numbers? Page numbers never failed on me. Perhaps you used the "offset" in the Insert - Fields - Page number dialog? If you change the page number using this way, problems are guaranteed.
AlanDavidson
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
How did you change the page numbers?

I used the page style dialog. In the Page tab, I select Format 1, 2, 3 ...
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have allowed the first pages of subsequent chapters to be left or right.
This may not be true if you didn't use a page number offset. I think OOo has inserted a blank page to force your chapter to page 13 (right page). Check the page number on the status bar then do File > Page Preview to see if you have a blank page.
jeanweber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Page numbers in Table of Contents not correct Reply with quote

AlanDavidson wrote:
Page numbers in the TOC don't match the actual page numbers.

The problem could be related to the fact that I am using roman numerals for front matter, and arabic numerals for the chapters. This forces chapter 1, page 1 to be a right-hand page. I have allowed the first pages of subsequent chapters to be left or right.

The final page of chapter 1 is "11", on a right page. The first page of chapter 2 is "12", on a left page.

I notice that the TOC is correct up to, and including page 11. However, chapter 2 is shown in the TOC as page 13.

I have verified that the TOC actually is updating.Can anyone help?

I have done this successfully in several books, with no problems. Without seeing your file, I can't guess what might be causing a problem for you. If you could send me (offlist) a sample, I'd be happy to look at it.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Page numbers in Table of Contents not correct Reply with quote

I agree with JohnV.

AlanDavidson wrote:
The problem could be related to the fact that I am using roman numerals for front matter, and arabic numerals for the chapters. This forces chapter 1, page 1 to be a right-hand page.

It should not be the case. You should check the Page layout setting in the Page tab of the page style. It should be Right and Left everywhere.
AlanDavidson
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should all stop discussing this problem. Then it might just go away. Here is the history:

1) I noticed the problems as in my original post yesterday.

2) I replied to ftack's response.

3) I saved my file at 16.57 SHT (Scottish Highlands Time).

4) This morning I opened the file to try some of the forum suggestions.

5) All yesterday's work had disappeared. (In other words, the file save at 16.57 had not actually saved anything. Shocked

6) Because I've been burnt by OOo saves in the past, I always have a BAK file created automatically. So I opened the BAK file.

7) All my changes are in the BAK file, except my very last change of a few words. Very Happy

8 The TOC problem that several contributors tried to help me with yesterday does not appear in the BAK file.

There are two issues here:

1) How can a file be saved at 16.57, but not actually save any changes?

2) How can the 16.57 BAK file be more up-to-date than a normal save?

(Remember that a BAK file simply records the *second-last* changes in a file, not the last changes. This is because it's a copy of the *previous* version of the file, not the current version. That's why my very last change does not appear in the BAK file.)

I think OOo was so ashamed of it's TOC errors that it decided not to save the file during the normal save. Wink

(The sharp-eyed might have noticed that I did not use a closing perenthesis in number 8 in my list above. That would have produced this next smiley: Cool

Try it!

I think I'll go home.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanDavidson wrote:
1) How can a file be saved at 16.57, but not actually save any changes?
2) How can the 16.57 BAK file be more up-to-date than a normal save?

That's quite frightening because there has been an other thread opened about this problem yesterday : http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=49096.
See especially my last post, it may be linked to the problem about the "error writing file" message".

I think you've been lucky : perhaps that if you had saved once more, your BAK file (with your changes) would have been overwritten by the very last one (changes lost) !

AlanDavidson wrote:
(The sharp-eyed might have noticed that I did not use a closing perenthesis in number 8 in my list above. That would have produced this next smiley: Cool

There is a checkbox under the area where you write the message that Disable BBCode in this post ! Just try it.

[EDIT 1:57 pm] I see that in the meantime when I was writing this post, AlanDavidson spotted the thread mentioned above Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: