OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

I am a total Newbie, trying to set up chapters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saradoxical

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: I am a total Newbie, trying to set up chapters. Reply with quote

nm

Last edited by saradoxical on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I am a total Newbie, trying to set up chapters. Reply with quote

saradoxical wrote:
I looked at the help files, which mentioned something about using headlines, but when I did it changed my font around and created a mess that I couldn't fix.

You've to use the pre-defined Heading # styles or to create custom styles to be declared in the menu Tools>Outline Numbering dialog (for each level a style). You can customize the pre-defined styles from the Stylist (F11): right click on the style and select Modify. Then, adjust the font, font effects, ... Don't manually hardcode the numbering if you want one, use the Outline Numbering feature.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title if it's ok (edit button).
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: I am a total Newbie, trying to set up chapters. Reply with quote

saradoxical wrote:
I looked at the help files, which mentioned something about using headlines, but when I did it changed my font around and created a mess that I couldn't fix.

If something happens that you can't fix, ask us! Very Happy
A heading (not headline) has to be in its own paragraph, and you then apply a heading style to the paragraph. The "outline" you'll see in Navigator comes from the different heading levels you apply.

Just as with Word and almost every other text editing and page layout tool I can think of, paragraph settings (style, etc.) apply to each paragraph "mark" -- so if you use a soft return to go to a new line, rather than hitting Enter to create a new paragraph, the selected paragraph style applies to all text associated with that paragraph mark. That's the most common misunderstanding; you'll find a surprising number of threads in this forum about that exact situation.

Anyway, to get what you want, you do need to see headings in the Navigator and for that, you have to use the actual heading styles. Believe me, they do work. If something unexpected happens, it's because something else isn't set up correctly, so to get the results you want, it's necessary to fix the problem. Let's start there. Wink

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: