OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Integration with outlook express
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canta_brian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Integration with outlook express Reply with quote

I have just stumbled across a little problem. I have recently set up a new staff member on open office after deciding there was no down-side to the suite. Unfortunately his outlook express email program has a spell check built in that will only work if the computer has a microsoft word program installed with a spell checker built in.

Has anyone else noticed this? More importantly has anyone figured out if linking the spellchecking capabilities of open office to the spellcheck in outlook express? Ideally I don't want to change away from outlook express as my staff member is familiar and is reluctant to change.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Ignore me, I have just found an older thread with some possibilities.

Thanks anyway.
Steve Dolesch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Outlook Express problems Reply with quote

Hi Brian.

I noticed this too. Have you resolved the problem yet? Personally, I don't really like Open Office Writer because it's not easy as they claim it is to use. Like adding or deleting task buttons like double spacing or things like that is frankly a pain in the neck. I'm using Writer temporarily until I can find MS Office updated version at a good price. After that bye bye Open Office. The hype is not worth it. Being a person with a disability, I like to simplify things and MS Offiice Word is much easiier than Writer. Sorry about that.

Steve
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Outlook Express problems Reply with quote

Steve Dolesch wrote:
I noticed this too. Have you resolved the problem yet? Personally, I don't really like Open Office Writer because it's not easy as they claim it is to use. Like adding or deleting task buttons like double spacing or things like that is frankly a pain in the neck. I'm using Writer temporarily until I can find MS Office updated version at a good price. After that bye bye Open Office. The hype is not worth it. Being a person with a disability, I like to simplify things and MS Offiice Word is much easiier than Writer. Sorry about that.

No need to be sorry. OpenOffice isn't the best choice for everyone. It uses a fundamentally different technology, so it does things differently than MS Office and other programs. Not sure what you mean by "adding or deleting task buttons" (macros assigned to buttons?) but double spacing is a matter of applying a paragraph style... just like in Word, so unless I misunderstand what you're talking about, I'm not sure why this would be more difficult in Writer. I'm not trying to argue for Writer's case, just trying to understand the difficulties people have (other than getting used to a new way of doing things).

Word is simpler if it's what you're accustomed to using. Writer is simpler if that's what you're accustomed to using. Anything is easier to use when you're used to it. But choices exist because not everyone is uniformly happy with any given piece of software or equipment or food or hairstyle or language or pen or whatever else in the world you care to mention. It's fine if you prefer Word or some other application. No one should hold that against you. Good luck in the future.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Steve Dolesch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Outlook Express problems Reply with quote

No need to be sorry. OpenOffice isn't the best choice for everyone. It uses a fundamentally different technology, so it does things differently than MS Office and other programs. Not sure what you mean by "adding or deleting task buttons" (macros assigned to buttons?) but double spacing is a matter of applying a paragraph style... just like in Word, so unless I misunderstand what you're talking about, I'm not sure why this would be more difficult in Writer. I'm not trying to argue for Writer's case, just trying to understand the difficulties people have (other than getting used to a new way of doing things).

By double spacing I meant when you are writing novel for an example you can either write single spaced lines or double spaced lines by clicking Double Space botton on the toolbar or taslkbar beside the Bold, Italic and the other bottons.

Steve
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Outlook Express problems Reply with quote

Steve Dolesch wrote:
By double spacing I meant when you are writing novel for an example you can either write single spaced lines or double spaced lines by clicking Double Space botton on the toolbar or taslkbar beside the Bold, Italic and the other bottons.

Steve

If you put the double spacing icon on the Formatting toolbar (through Tools... Customize) you can double space any paragraph at the touch of the icon. Single and 1.5 are also available.

Bill
Answers
Steve Dolesch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Outlook Express problems Reply with quote

If you put the double spacing icon on the Formatting toolbar (through Tools... Customize) you can double space any paragraph at the touch of the icon. Single and 1.5 are also available.

Bill[/quote]

Hi Bill,

I tried that but couldn't seem to be able to do it. Can you guide me by giving me step by step process? Because I went to Tools aand Customize and couldn't do it.

Appreciate it.
Steve
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve
Tools... Customize and choose Formatting from the drop down Toolbar list. It defaults to Standard, so you'll have to scroll up to Formatting.
That will open the various icons for that toolbar.- - Toolbar Content Commands
Scroll down the list and you should find the three icons unchecked. Check one or all and they'll appear on the toolbar.
Hope this helps
Bill
Answers
Steve Dolesch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyboy wrote:
Hi Steve
Tools... Customize and choose Formatting from the drop down Toolbar list. It defaults to Standard, so you'll have to scroll up to Formatting.
That will open the various icons for that toolbar.- - Toolbar Content Commands
Scroll down the list and you should find the three icons unchecked. Check one or all and they'll appear on the toolbar.
Hope this helps
Bill

Nope, nothing. It doesn't work!!!!! I had enough of Open Office. Why can't we just drag the botton from a list to the toolbar like with Word? Very simple!!!!

Steve
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it works. I wouldn't waste my time giving you a duff steer.
What part didn't you get to work for you?
Bill
Answers
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try that again.
Tools > Customize > Toolbar tab. Now Formatting from the drop down menu. Now move down the list of icons and check the boxes by Line Spacing 1 & Line Spacing 2 then click OK.

Alternate method:
Click the down triangle on the right end of the Formatting toolbar > Visible Buttons and click the one you want. Do again for the next one.
Steve Dolesch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Bill,

I'm sorry but it doesn't work. I did as you both showed me but nothing happens.

Steve
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve
Are you saying nothing happened or you didn't notice it happening. If you did as we said there should now be icons on the Formatting toolbar relative to line spacing - the icons are simply small horizontal lines.
Bill Confused
Answers
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:

Alternate method:
Click the down triangle on the right end of the Formatting toolbar > Visible Buttons and click the one you want. Do again for the next one.

I'm daft. Thanks John simple and best.
Bill
Answers
Steve Dolesch
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyboy wrote:
Steve
Are you saying nothing happened or you didn't notice it happening. If you did as we said there should now be icons on the Formatting toolbar relative to line spacing - the icons are simply small horizontal lines.
Bill Confused

Biill,

Yep, nothing happens at all. I can't even drag the icons I need to either bar, the Formatting bar or the Standard. I know how to do these things, but with Writer iit's not pleasant at all. Yeep, I check the boxes I need but nothing happens when I click Add on the Right.

Thanks for your patience both of you, Bill and John.
Steve
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't click Add, just check the boxes and click OK. The Add button is how you get another choice onto the pick list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: