OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

View Formula Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgerman1109

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: View Formula Results Reply with quote

Hopefully this is something simple... When I enter a formula into Calc I do not see the results, only the formula. On the options/view menu the formula box is NOT checked. If I use the function wizard to insert the formula it shows the correct result in the "Function result" box, but when I hit "OK" the sheet dispays only the formula. Also, if I print the sheet only the formula prints. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason your cells may be formatted as text. See Menu:Format>Cells, Tab:Numbers
Is it a new document or some import from Excel?
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: View Formula Results Reply with quote

[Possibly Tools / Options / Calc / View / Formulas is toggled on [a tick mark] ?

David.
tgerman1109

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villeroy,

Thanks for the response. It was a formatting issue. I was working with an imported Excel document and the entire sheet was formatted as text. I had tried changing the format earlier, but did not realize that I needed to re-enter the formula after changing the format to number.

Thanks again for your help!
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Meanwhile I begin to grasp what this is all about. Does Excel support all kinds of automatic string conversions because some of their users refuse proper spreadsheet design? Hard to believe. This has been discussed several times in this forum. It doesn't seem to be restricted to some amateur's inventory of DVDs: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=45529

Quote:
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html#excel
WRITING ASCII FILES

If you write a text file (csv or txt) from Excel or Works, then numbers will be written with a limited number of significant digits. Microsoft is aware that there is displeasure about this, but regards it as a "feature" -- it isn't clear what they think the up-side is of the feature. (Excel bugs don't exist, but Excel has a lot of features.)

The usual way to insure that all of the digits are retained in the file is to make sure that no numbers are written in scientific notation and the numbers are displayed in the spreadsheet with as many digits as you desire. (Yes, what is written to the file depends on what is displayed in the spreadsheet at the time, but it is not quite WYSIWYG.) Strings appear to be written out in full even if they are not fully displayed in the spreadsheet.

Huh? Does Excel's csv-export save numeric =PI() as 3.142 unless you have converted the number to string?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: