OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Open Office vs Star Office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimHogg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Open Office vs Star Office Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the difference between Open Office and Star Office Suite? I'm especially interested in any big difference in the database function.

Thanks
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you googled about that ?
Here is what I found quickly : http://www.sun.com/software/star/openoffice/index.xml.
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is what I found at http://documentation.openoffice.org/faqs/various_topics/002.html:

Quote:
Differences between StarOffice and OpenOffice.org

The source code available at OpenOffice.org does not consist of all of the StarOffice code. Usually, the reason for this is that Sun pays to license third party code to include in StarOffice that which it does not have permission to make available in OpenOffice.org. Those things which are or will be present in StarOffice but are not available on OpenOffice.org include:

* Certain fonts (including, especially, Asian language fonts)
* The database component (Adabas D)
* Templates included with StarOffice
* Extensive Clip Art Gallery
* Some sorting functionality (Asian versions)
* Certain file filters

JimHogg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Openoffice vs Star office Reply with quote

Thanks,

It sounds like the biggest difference is add-ons like clip art, templates and fonts. Does anyone know if there is a big diffeence in the functionality and ease of use of the database module? The database included with OpenOffice is a relational database to my understanding.

Thanks
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think StarOffice might have replaced "Adabas D" with Base. At least, Adabas D is not listed on the StarOffice 8 page. So there may not be a difference with the database portion anymore.

But I have never used StarOffice, so I'm not that familiar with the differences. My step-father had StarOffice 5 pre-installed on his computer, and he didn't like it. I upgraded him to OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 (the latest version at the time) and he liked that much better. But then, I don't think he used anything other than the word processor.
skaertus
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but, as far as I am concerned, Sun StarOffice 8.0 corresponds to OpenOffice.org 2.0 with some proprietary additions.

OpenOffice.org 2.0 was released in 2005, and there has been substantial improvements over it. It's been 2 years and seven versions of the software (2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, 2.0.4, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.1) and an eighth version (2.3) is set to be released in the next few days. These versions brought lots of improvements such as better performance, extensions support and a new charts feature (in version 2.3). I haven't even tried StarOffice, but I think it didn't kept up with OpenOffice.org improvements. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, this is the only reason why I haven't downloaded the Google Pack with StarOffice yet!)

For me, I don't think some proprietary additions can compensate for 2 years of code improvement which StarOffice didn't follow.
DaveRD
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skaertus wrote:
I may be wrong, but, as far as I am concerned, Sun StarOffice 8.0 corresponds to OpenOffice.org 2.0 with some proprietary additions.

OpenOffice.org 2.0 was released in 2005, and there has been substantial improvements over it. It's been 2 years and seven versions of the software (2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, 2.0.4, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.1) and an eighth version (2.3) is set to be released in the next few days. These versions brought lots of improvements such as better performance, extensions support and a new charts feature (in version 2.3). I haven't even tried StarOffice, but I think it didn't kept up with OpenOffice.org improvements. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, this is the only reason why I haven't downloaded the Google Pack with StarOffice yet!)

For me, I don't think some proprietary additions can compensate for 2 years of code improvement which StarOffice didn't follow.

StarOffice 8 has Update Packs. It is on Update 7 right now which is equivalent to OOo 2.2 or 2.2.1, I believe. So it is quite up-to-date. I am not running StarOffice, but you can compare build numbers clicking Help - About OpenOffice.org (or StarOffice) and pressing Ctrl+S+D+T for curiosity sake.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skaertus wrote:
I don't think some proprietary additions can compensate for 2 years of code improvement which StarOffice didn't follow.

Some may be very useful to users who need a better compatibility with MS products. Lots of additional import/export filters, VBA support/translation, user paths customization (dics and many more - 15 entries instead of 8 in OOo), ...
manrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started using Open Calc, and it seems that some Excel keyboard shortcuts do not work.

Also creating or using a chart from an Excel spreadsheet does not display the same information as when viewed in Excel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: