OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

floor function and ceiling function [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxlray
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: floor function and ceiling function [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi - it's me again.
Is there a way to represent floor function (round down) and ceiling function (round up) in OOo? Normally you use edged brackets "[f(x)]" without the upper horizontal line for floor functions and edged brackets without the lower horizontal line for ceiling functions.

Last edited by xxlray on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread: Problem with math formulas in Impress.
xxlray
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I used "search" but, the title had no hint on floor/ceiling functions so I did not find it. So the solution is:
Code:
lceil 2.5 rceil = 3, lfloor 2.5 rfloor = 2

It is missing in the view->selection box. so I could not figure it out by myself.
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, it's in the online help. Look under "Math formula editor" > Formula Reference Tables

That little gem is also in the other thread, which is why I referred to it, rather than just copy the answer over here.

I guess my plan has backfired, now that we've both spent more time on this than if I had just answered your question directly Wink

I know there are some rough spots, but in general, the OOo online help is some of the best online help I've encountered. Unlike many commercial packages that do little more than copy the menus, or maybe give one-line explanations, the OOo help has a lot of useful information. My reflex initially was to ignore it, but now I try to remember to at least check there first.

The help also has a separate life in Issuezilla (component="documentation", subcomponent="Online help"), and an active volunteer effort working to improve it, so if you do find problems, please report them.
xxlray
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said it really is in the online help. I think the reason why I copuld not find it is that there is no picture to the code. So I overlooked it.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the reason why I copuld not find it is that there is no picture to the code. So I overlooked it.

I ran into this myself and finally realized that the way the help is presented actually make it most difficult to use for the primary thing that it's useful for: finding symbols that are not in the menu.

So, I took my own advice and filed Issue 72777.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: