OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Jew with capital 'J' not in suggestion list
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the word 'Jew' offensive to you?
No
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

wolfix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Jew with capital 'J' not in suggestion list Reply with quote

Hi,

Writer underlined in red the word 'jew'; I assumed since it was not capitalized. Now as I type this, FireFox has done the same. However, when I right click on the word to correct it neither Writer or FF provide the word 'Jew' with a capital 'J' in the suggestion list.

When I manually added a capital 'J', the red line disappears of course, so both programs acknowledge the word 'Jew' as correct but don't provide it as a suggestion to the incorrect word 'jew.'

I found this strange... is the word 'Jew' considered an offense; politically incorrect? It's not to me... my Bible uses the word 'Jew' often.

Thanks,

wolfix

Last edited by wolfix on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which dictionary are you using? It shows up in the suggestion list for en-GB.

I don't think the majority of the worlds population considers 'Jew' offensive but there will be some (the Palestinians, Borat) who wouldn't care if it wasn't in the dictionary. It has had worse interpretations in the past (for hundreds of years in Europe Jews were commonly understood to be evil money launderers who molested children; Benjamin Disraeli was often referred to as 'The Jew' in Parliament despite having converted to Christianity in his teens, without which he could not have entered Parliament when he did) but that has gone from the majority of the world.

Yes, it may appear in the Bible but that's really no clarification on the issue as the Bible contradicts itself on many points and the overwhelming body of scientific knowledge that says that the world and all it's species were not created by God in 4004BC. It even goes so far as describing it's hypothesis on the forming of the Universe as 'testament', now that can be considered offensive.

No, Jew isn't offensive.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
wolfix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the English USA version.

While we're on the subject, who was mistaken about Jesus being God and the only way to the Father? Jesus himself or his disciples? This is not a trick question. Out of interest, I like to ask it to peoples who express learnedness in such things.

wolfix

Last edited by wolfix on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest that Jew does not appear as a suggestion for jew with US English dictionary... (MS Windows XP, OO.o 2.0.4)
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9 wrote:
Yes, it may appear in the Bible but that's really no clarification on the issue as the Bible contradicts itself on many points

Totally false statement

Quote:
and the overwhelming body of scientific knowledge that says that the world and all it's species were not created by God in 4004BC.

totally false statement

Quote:
It even goes so far as describing it's hypothesis on the forming of the Universe as 'testament', now that can be considered offensive..

Why?
Answers
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfix wrote:
While we're on the subject, who was mistaken about Jesus being God and the only way to the Father? Jesus himself or his disciples? This is not a trick question.

It might not be a trick question but it is a meaningless question? From what did you derive your notion?

Bill
Answers
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyboy wrote:
Quote:
and the overwhelming body of scientific knowledge that says that the world and all it's species were not created by God in 4004BC.

totally false statement

Rolling Eyes

Anyway, take this discussion elsewhere. This forum is for open minded people, about an open source office suite. I would rather see ten times more spam than one discussion about religion here. Off topic. Stop!

wolfix asked a simple question in his FIRST post, give him a simple answer. One more post discussing religion, and the thread is LOCKED.
wolfix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyboy wrote:
wolfix wrote:
While we're on the subject, who was mistaken about Jesus being God and the only way to the Father? Jesus himself or his disciples? This is not a trick question.

It might not be a trick question but it is a meaningless question? From what did you derive your notion?

Bill

I prefer to ask the question without disclosing where I derived it from because there is another question I ask based on the first answer given that forces one to come to direct terms with who Jesus claimed to be. And my question was directed towards one who apparently doesn't believe Jesus is who he says he is based on the Bible.

I, by faith, believe Jesus is who he says he is. I'd like to say more about why I believe this but to do so would divert attention towards why I believe instead attention towards my original question. However, after I get an answer which hopefully turns into a series of answers, I will disclose the book that inspired the question.

BTW, I had know intentions of this thread becoming a religious debate. It just happened that the first response I got provoked me to ask what I asked.

With all sincerity,

wolfix
wolfix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaredyret wrote:

Anyway, take this discussion elsewhere. This forum is for open minded people, about an open source office suite. I would rather see ten times more spam than one discussion about religion here. Off topic. Stop!

wolfix asked a simple question in his FIRST post, give him a simple answer. One more post discussing religion, and the thread is LOCKED.

My apologies and with agreement.

wolfix Smile
acknak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like an issue worth reporting to QA (the lack of "Jew" as a suggestion for "jew", not the issue of who Jesus was/is Wink).

But I'm not sure what should be suggested as the correction.

While the lowercase form "jew" (i.e. a verb meaning "to bargain aggresively") is considered offensive, it is not misspelled. So, technically, "jew" should not be marked incorrect. But the more common situation is to use it as a proper noun and therefore providing the capitalized form would be more helpful.
billyboy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies too. I don't normally feed the trolls.
Bill
Answers
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an issue that goes beyond what is being discussed. My guess is it has to do with some proper nouns, but I could be wrong.

In the US Dictionary in OOo, "ben" is seen as a misspelling, but nowhere does it offer "Ben" as a possible correction, although "Ben" is seen as correct. The same goes with "jan" and "Jan".

Although there are several words that I can come up with that is considered a misspelling with a lower case letter, most of them have the upper case letter version in the corrections. But obviously, not all of them. And I don't think Ben and Jan are words that anyone would find objectionable (at least, nobody who is an English speaker... I can't speak about every other language in the world). Certainly, my co-workers Ben B. and Jan H. don't find them objectionable.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Writer for important work; I do not trust the spell checker and the dictionaries. I think you had a bad experience with the inferior spell checker (or dictionaries) in OpenOffice.org. I preferred StarOffice because it has a professional spell checker and thesaurus (but it now comes with far fever dictionaries). Not all open source projects are as good as commercial products... I think the poor quality of many dictionaries and the spell checker is a major weakness. Many schools will use OOo...

Examples from Microsoft Word XP (US English dictionary):

Examples from OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 (UK English dictionary):

You can see that OpenOffice.org is just shooting in the dark. It is scary that OOo doesn't suggest 'Jew' instead of 'sew'.

Last edited by Kaaredyret on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
acknak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. That could be a lot better.

Something is different for me though: my OOo (2.0.4 through 2.1.0rc2) does not suggest "Dan" or "Jew", but yours does, even though they are not at the top of the list. Are you sure you're using the en_US dictionary?

Also, does anyone know if the spellcheck/dictionary has a way to handle words that may be correct either as lowercase or capitalized? Does Word or StarOffice do anything helpful with these?

I started making a list of some--obviously I haven't gotten very far and I'm not sure there's any point in continuing. It really isn't correct to mark any of these as misspelled when they are not capitalized, but it might be helpful to offer to capitalize the word:
Quote:
Afar Amazon Amber Ambler Anchorage Apple Archer Ascension Ash Assembly Atlas Attic Auburn August Aurora
Babe Bacon Baker Ball Banner Baptist Barb Barber Barbette Barker
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my mistake. It was UK English. Reposting with new images of OOo using the US English dictionary:

I don't use Writer for important work; I do not trust the spell checker and the dictionaries. I think you had a bad experience with the inferior spell checker (or dictionaries) in OpenOffice.org. I preferred StarOffice because it has a professional spell checker and thesaurus (but it now comes with far fever dictionaries). Not all open source projects are as good as commercial products... I think the poor quality of many dictionaries and the spell checker is a major weakness. Many schools will use OOo...

Examples from Microsoft Word XP (US English dictionary):

Examples from OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 (US English dictionary):

You can see that OpenOffice.org is just shooting in the dark. It is scary that OOo doesn't suggest 'Jew' instead of 'sew'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: