OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Creating Bookmarks for PDF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
footballking3420
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Creating Bookmarks for PDF Reply with quote

Is there a way to create bookmarks in OOo so that when I export the document to a PDF, they show up? If so, how?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
For what purpose ? TOC ? Text hyperlink ? Have you searched the forum ?
jeanweber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating Bookmarks for PDF Reply with quote

footballking3420 wrote:
Is there a way to create bookmarks in OOo so that when I export the document to a PDF, they show up? If so, how?

OOo2.x (but not 1.x) turns headings into bookmarks automatically, if you have used heading styles and Tools > Outline Numbering (heading numbers are not required, but the styles must be listed in the Outline Numbering dialog).
footballking3420
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have guides, song lyrics, and other documents that I export to PDF and I want to easily be able to use the Bookmark field of the PDF to switch between pages. I have searched the forum, but I keep coming up with that extendedPDF program. I just want to do it in OOo so I don't have the install other stuff.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use either Bookmarks or References, the tags for the bookmarks are included in the PDF.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if it's ok.
footballking3420
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still lost. Can I get like a more in-depth explanation on how to go about doing this?
jeanweber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footballking3420 wrote:
I'm still lost. Can I get like a more in-depth explanation on how to go about doing this?

People use the term "Bookmarks" to mean different things. I was talking about the table-of-contents type list that is shown under the "Bookmarks" tab in Adobe Reader. Is that what you mean? I think Hagar is talking about a different type of bookmarks -- in the text itself, so you can jump from one spot to another.

Are you asking me, or Hagar, to explain how to do what we are talking about?
footballking3420
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking Hagar, but anybody that can help me is much appreciated. I use Foxit Reader so it may be a bit different in the layout than Adobe, probably not though. When I open a PDF in Foxit, you have the document and then to the left you have the Bookmark field where it starts with the word "Bookmark" and then goes in a tree-structure and lists the pages (ex: Page 1, Page 2, etc.) I want to make it so that when I export the document in OOo, I can rename the Page 1,2, etc. and have it linked to that specific page.
jeanweber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footballking3420 wrote:
I was asking Hagar, but anybody that can help me is much appreciated. I use Foxit Reader so it may be a bit different in the layout than Adobe, probably not though. When I open a PDF in Foxit, you have the document and then to the left you have the Bookmark field where it starts with the word "Bookmark" and then goes in a tree-structure and lists the pages (ex: Page 1, Page 2, etc.) I want to make it so that when I export the document in OOo, I can rename the Page 1,2, etc. and have it linked to that specific page.

Hmm... What I see in Adobe Reader is a page titled "Bookmarks" on the left, which shows all the headings (like a Table of Contents). There is another tab in that lefthand part, labelled "Pages", where I see thumbnails of the individual pages, but it's not in a tree. So I'm not at all sure if we are talking about the same thing. OOo automatically produces what I see in both places, without me needing to do anything, so I don't know whether or how you can get it to do what you want. Sorry! Sad
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we said, the bookmarks are automatically created. So just try to produce a PDF and open it with your reader to see if it's ok for you.
freemc
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: use styles! Reply with quote

You need to use the styles in Writer to automatically name the bookmarks.

If your document is manually formatted, you will indeed see things like page 1, page 2, ... in foxit reader.

If you use styles to format your text, the "page 1" will be replaced by the text formatted as e.g. heading1 in writer.

Quickguide to using styles:
- press F11 or choose format/styles and formatting in the menu.
- select a style you want, eg "heading 1"
- click the "fill format mode" button in the upper right corner of the styles and formatting box.
- select your title or text with the fill format tool.

If you export to pdf now, you will see your bookmarks have the texts formatted as "heading 1" in them.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeanweber wrote:
Hmm... What I see in Adobe Reader is a page titled "Bookmarks" on the left, which shows all the headings (like a Table of Contents). There is another tab in that lefthand part, labelled "Pages", where I see thumbnails of the individual pages, but it's not in a tree.

They do appear in a tree if different levels of headings are used---but the trick is to use the Heading styles for each level of text that needs to show up in the bookmark tree. (Hmm. Bookmarks grow on trees!)

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footballking3420 wrote:
When I open a PDF in Foxit, you have the document and then to the left you have the Bookmark field where it starts with the word "Bookmark" and then goes in a tree-structure and lists the pages (ex: Page 1, Page 2, etc.) I want to make it so that when I export the document in OOo, I can rename the Page 1,2, etc. and have it linked to that specific page.

As said by foxcole, the following tree structure is done if styles used for headings have been declared in the Outline Numbering dialog (menu Tools), this is the case by default for pre-defined Heading # styles.

For the following tree, I don't know because I don't use Foxit.

I would say it depends on how Foxit analyses the pdf structure, perhaps it replaces the thumbnails view (for pages). What I don't understand is your rename operation. Once exported, you can't modify the pdf file. What do you need exactly ?
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've installed Foxit to see what it looks like. I've to admit that it seems to be a really good piece of software. What I've seen is that :
- if there are outlining tags, then, Foxit displays in the bookmarks pane these outlines (NB: if you have 100 pages and only one heading, you will have only one bookmark entry). See first screenshot.
- if there is no outlining tab, then, Foxit displays the pages (second screenshot).

So, to conclude this thread, I think OOo should meet your needs.
Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if it's ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: