OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Button to change font color at cursor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aharown07
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Button to change font color at cursor? Reply with quote

The font color button doesn't behave in a way i find helpful. I'm usually typing along then want to switch colors and keep typing only in the new color. Is there a way to do that? I don't want to type it first, then select it, then pick the new color. Not very ergonomically smart.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I would do this:
  • Define a character style for each colour that I needed, e.g. Red, Green, Blue
  • Record a macro to apply each character style
  • Tools, Customise, Keyboard and assign a shortcut to each macro, e.g. Control + Shift + R,G,B

Using Character styles means that you can change the colour throughout your document just by editing hte style.

Using shortcuts means you don't have to take your hands off of the keyboard.
You may need to save your styles in the default template. Try defining the character styles while editing the default template, save it, then record the macros.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Button to change font color at cursor? Reply with quote

aharown07 wrote:
Not very ergonomically smart.
+1.
There's a nenhancement request for that, you can subscribe and vote for it : http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=23843.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Button to change font color at cursor? Reply with quote

aharown07 wrote:
The font color button doesn't behave in a way i find helpful. I'm usually typing along then want to switch colors and keep typing only in the new color. Is there a way to do that? I don't want to type it first, then select it, then pick the new color. Not very ergonomically smart.

There is another font color button that will do this, but it's not put on the toolbar when installing OOo. You have to add it to the toolbar using Tools > Customize. I just found this yesterday and haven't used it much, but have noticed that the button color changes to the color of selected text. This means that you can't change the color with this button then select different text and apply the new color with a single click of the button. You have to reopen the color palette and reselect the color. The other font color button doesn't change color when you change the selection so it's easier to use when changing the color of multiple selections. The functions of these two buttons need to be combined in a single button.

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=36035
aharown07
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Many thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, all.
I'm voting for that issue.
I did see that other font color button and wondered what it was there for... it appeared to be identical to the other one. Will do some playing w/that and see if it does what I want.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button you want is the second of the two listed. The descriptions are identical, but the behaviour is different. I also prefer the behaviour of this second button. It can also be used to apply colour to selected text, but if clicked without text being selected, the text colour at the cursor changes as you type.

Control Shift Space to revert to default formatting.

The only issue is the wrong description in the Customising area.
Quote:
Click to apply the current font color to the selected characters. You can also click here, and then drag a selection to change the text color. Click the arrow next to the icon to open the Font color toolbar.

aharown07
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Yes. That works Reply with quote

Yes, the second button does exactly what I had in mind.

For an MS Word semi-power user of many years, the transition to OOo Writer has been relatively painless. I'm down to only one or two small annoyances and, of course, some of Word's annoyances are not included in Writer, so, on balance, I'm happy w/how it's going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: