OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Section breaks - new section or continuous
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louisefarrell
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Section breaks - new section or continuous Reply with quote

Hi all

when creating section breaks in OOo, how do you differentiate between 'next page' and 'continuous'. When I click onto Insert and Section, I don't see any option for the type of Section I need.

Thank you.
Louise
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Section breaks - new section or continuous Reply with quote

louisefarrell wrote:
Hi all

when creating section breaks in OOo, how do you differentiate between 'next page' and 'continuous'. When I click onto Insert and Section, I don't see any option for the type of Section I need.

Thank you.
Louise

Hi Louise;

I don't use sections but I think that you want to look for a page break under Insert > Manual Break > Page Break.

A page break in OOo is not a section call in OOo as I understand it is in Word.
louisefarrell
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for your reply, however, it is an actual Section break I need rather than a normal page break because I want to create different headers and footers on certain pages and change the orientation. I can find Section breaks but it doesn't determine between Next Page or Continuous.

Louise
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

louisefarrell wrote:
Hi
Thanks for your reply, however, it is an actual Section break I need rather than a normal page break because I want to create different headers and footers on certain pages and change the orientation. I can find Section breaks but it doesn't determine between Next Page or Continuous.

This is a difference in terminology between Writer and Word. You set the next page style for a new chapter (i.e., one with a different header or footer than the main body of the text) using the manual page break and choosing the page style to follow the break in the "style" drop-down list. Refer to the Writer guide for more information on controlling page styles.

A section in Writer can be any number of things. It could be a section of text that you'd like to show or hide conditionally in the middle of a page, or to share with another document, or to protect, or to insert content by DDE... that kind of thing.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

louisefarrell wrote:
Hi

Louise

As foxcole points out it is a page break not a section break in OOo. What you want to do in OOo terms is insert a new style when you insert a page break. This assumes you're using the default style . Substitute 'mystyle' for default if not.

Try this. (Page styles are fourth icon from the left.)
1. Create a new style (F11 > right click on the default page style > New
1.Give the Style a new name
3 Under the Page tab set the orientation
4 Save
5 Insert > Manual Break > Page Break
6 Select the style you just created
7 Click okay

You now have a new Page setup with a new orientation. Just add the new headers and footers as usual. When you want to go back to the other layout again
Insert > Manual Break > Page Break and select default.

I strongly recommend that you read the Working with Styles chapters at http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html

Note that page breaks in OOo show up as a thin coloured line at the top of the page. The default colour is blue in 2.1.0 .
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Section breaks - new section or continuous Reply with quote

louisefarrell wrote:
Hi all

Thank you.
Louise

Insert > Section in Writer results in a Section Break (Continuous) in Word. Insert > Manual Break > Page Break and leaving the style set as [none] in the Insert Break dialog in Writer results in a Page Break in Word. Insert > Manual Break > Page Break and specifying a page style in the Insert Break Dialog in Writer results in a Section Break (Next Page) in Word.
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Section breaks - new section or continuous Reply with quote

BillP wrote:

Insert > Section in Writer results in a Section Break (Continuous) in Word. Insert > Manual Break > Page Break and leaving the style set as [none] in the Insert Break dialog in Writer results in a Page Break in Word. Insert > Manual Break > Page Break and specifying a page style in the Insert Break Dialog in Writer results in a Section Break (Next Page) in Word.

But beware! In my experience, if you try to re-import a Word document which had a Page Break specifying a new page style in the OOo version, the new page style gets lost. It may have had a Section Break specifying a new page style in the Word version but I was unable to confirm this since I have no access to Word.

Geoff
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Section breaks - new section or continuous Reply with quote

geoff80fg wrote:
BillP wrote:

But beware! In my experience, if you try to re-import a Word document which had a Page Break specifying a new page style in the OOo version, the new page style gets lost. It may have had a Section Break specifying a new page style in the Word version but I was unable to confirm this since I have no access to Word.

Geoff

The page style isn't lost, but it is recreated with a different name (Default, Convert 1, etc). You don't need Word to confirm this. Just save the document in Word format then reopen it with Writer.

When I open a Word document with Writer, I find that the first section will have the Default page style, and subsequent sections will have the Convert 1, etc page styles.
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually referring to a document where I had to change to a landscape page to hold a wide table and then revert to normal portrait. This works fine in Writer but, after saving in Word format and re-opening in Writer, the table was on a portrait page losing all of the right hand columns.

Geoff
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoff80fg wrote:
I was actually referring to a document where I had to change to a landscape page to hold a wide table and then revert to normal portrait. This works fine in Writer but, after saving in Word format and re-opening in Writer, the table was on a portrait page losing all of the right hand columns.

Geoff

The only time I've seen this problem is when I use the Next Style feature of the page style to change the page style. When I do this, Writer doesn't insert a section break between the pages when saving in Word format and without a section break, the pages will have the same orientation.
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!

Geoff
louisefarrell
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Sections/Page Breaks Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies regarding sections/page breaks. I will try and give this a go.

The more I use OOo, the more I prefer MO!

Thanks again.
Louise
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sections/Page Breaks Reply with quote

louisefarrell wrote:
Thank you all for your replies regarding sections/page breaks. I will try and give this a go.

The more I use OOo, the more I prefer MO!

Thanks again.
Louise

Interesting. About 15 minutes into OOo and I was happy to drop Word. At 30 minutes I had discovered Styles and was totally suduced.

I now use Word as required and under protest but find it incredibly cumbersome and cannot find half the funtions that I need. Mind you this maybe that I was using Word 98 for the MAC before and Windows Word 2003 seems to have gotten even worse. Smile
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second jrkrideau. After having been a Word user first on the Mac and later on PC, starting in 1987, I had no trouble moving over to OOo and found it usable right away. Once I learned its powerful secrets with styles, I've never looked back. Writer does what I need it to do; it has done so from the first time I picked it up. It has real conditional text and sections; it has master documents that work; it lets me set up conditions in sub documents and control them on the master document level. I can reuse content without an expensive single-sourcing application just by linking files into a master document or by linking sections. Very useful stuff that even after all these years, Word can't manage. Sure, the interface is different and sure, I had to learn a new way of thinking about how a document is built... had to understand how to control page styles and breaks, and to look to styles for almost anything I needed to do. Of course there's a learning curve to master the more advanced features I needed in my documentation, but trial by fire is the fastest way to learn, I find. It was not impossible---quite the opposite, in fact.

My current hurdle is to get over my habit of applying manual formatting. I'm still too accustomed to the occasional character or paragraph spacing change manually, but really, styles aren't any more difficult to apply. Still just a click or two away.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1.

I'm wondering Louise if you've not been too much formatted the MSO way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: